• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ultra Sonic Cleaner

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Damn, i keep getting an error page when clicking on the link .. :rant:

The site opens up with the error message but doesn't show the cleaner .. :down:

That was back in November.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter,
this is pure gold for me!!!
I bought a little ultrasonic cleaner at Lidl (we have Lidle here in Italy as well) a couple of months ago, but mine it can be set to 10 minutes of running.
I used this for cleaning my airbrushes, and it works like magic, but lately was trying to cast some blanks in Polyester resin and (since i dont ave a vaccum or pressure chamber) was thinking of a way to get rid for the air bubbles.
Then I read this post and was thinking of how much I love you now!!! Thanks a lot for this precious hint.

My best regards
Francesco

When I do it I mix the colour (unless it is clear casting) I want and let it stand in the bath for 10 minutes working away and then I mix in the MEKP and stirr it thoroughly while it is in the bath and let it work away for about 3 minutes. Never had a problem that way, but try a small batch first just to put your own mind at rest.

Peter

kjmc1957

Registered
I'm easily confused at the best of time but thi stime more so, why has this thread been re-kindled, the original was started last year, have I missed something??

Of course I'm not suggesting that any thread can't be re-kindled I was just wondering why?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I'm easily confused at the best of time but thi stime more so, why has this thread been re-kindled, the original was started last year, have I missed something??

Of course I'm not suggesting that any thread can't be re-kindled I was just wondering why?

Look at post 18, someone new found the info useful.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I use it to disperse the air bubbles in resin, but they are brilliant for cleaning jewellery, coins and a whole host of things.

Peter

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Hello,
Is there any videos or instructions for casting using an ultra sonic cleaner?
I want to try casting using watch parts and others things.
For instance, do you place the finished pour inside the cleaner, or the mix beforehand?
And do you sit it above the "bath" or do you sit it in dry without water.
I hope that makes sense.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hello,
Is there any videos or instructions for casting using an ultra sonic cleaner?
I want to try casting using watch parts and others things.
For instance, do you place the finished pour inside the cleaner, or the mix beforehand?
And do you sit it above the "bath" or do you sit it in dry without water.
I hope that makes sense.

I use the ultra sonic cleaner with hot water in it. I put my polyester resin into suitable plastic cups and these are placed into the ultra sonic cleaner so that the water will warm up the resin and make the resin thinner and help the bubbles to disperse. I put any colouring I want into the resin and let the ultra sonic cleaner do it's magic for a while, so that everything is mixed well and hopefully without bubbles. When I am ready I put the MEKP in and mix for several minutes before I pour. Make sure you wipe any water off the plastic cups before you pour. Once I have poured the resin in to the mould the ultra sonic cleaner is no longer used.

Peter

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Once again Peter thanks for your help, I was unclear about whether or not you put the mould in the cleaner or not, but it's just the mix, thanks.

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
I use the ultra sonic cleaner with hot water in it. I put my polyester resin into suitable plastic cups and these are placed into the ultra sonic cleaner so that the water will warm up the resin and make the resin thinner and help the bubbles to disperse. I put any colouring I want into the resin and let the ultra sonic cleaner do it's magic for a while, so that everything is mixed well and hopefully without bubbles. When I am ready I put the MEKP in and mix for several minutes before I pour. Make sure you wipe any water off the plastic cups before you pour. Once I have poured the resin in to the mould the ultra sonic cleaner is no longer used.

Peter

Thanks for making this clear Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Mmm interesting I bought a small ultra 7000 from Maplins earlier this year to help clean small components when stripping and cleaning up electric guitar bridges etc and have since found it is good for cleaning spectacles and de rusting old bolts etc so pleased to hear it can be used for other stuff as well.:winking:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).