• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Waxing a pen

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
I was chatting to someone a few weeks ago and they told me that they always wax a pen regardless of the finish (C.A, melamine etc) or if it is Acrylic or wood.

Since then it has been revolving around my head as to why they would do that.
I was going to ask on here but feel you may all be tiring a little of the many questions I seem to ask :whistling:

Believe it or not I always do a quick interweb search to see if I can find the answers and this time was no different.
I found a wonderful post on the IAP forum (I am not a member) that answered so many questions I had regarding the subject.

I have copied and pasted the post and also linked to the original

Is WAX a finish?

After thinking about this for a long long time, my logical, practical, deductive reasoning mindset took over. (Hey, I am an INTP.)

Wax on top of cast blanks and wood is purely an “iffy” proposition, helpful in a few cases, but wasted in most - in the pen world.

To understand where I am coming from, think about why we wax our pens, if we do it at all - and many/most do:
Well, we wax our cars, for some - just once when new, and for some . . . with spray on wax at the car wash. No matter which, a single waxing is certainly not a long term finish.
Furniture at home: Some of you grew up and saw your mom wax furniture, every two weeks or so, at least once a month, and particularly where little hands rubbed the table or china cabinet as we walked (ran) by - and that was to wipe the grime off and put a fresh shine back on.

Waxing is NOT a long term finish. When it wears off, it exposes the wood beneath it to grime, AND it reveals either A. the incompleteness of a good finish under it, or B. a prized hand rubbed and oiled or fine finish.

IS waxing a substitute for a shiny finish or a beautiful satin finish? Waxing works best when it is over a great finish so that when the wax evaporates or wears off, the underlying sheen of the wood or other material shows its magnificence. In tase cases, (Cars & Furniture) the wax is there to keep the grime off of the underlying finish.

This brings us to two reasons for Waxing: Temporary Protection or Temporary Shine/Sheen Finish.

How much does this apply to Pen Finishing?

I will never forget my first use of EEE. I made a pen out of Purple Heart for a co-worker that wanted a hand turned pen, - and I had only been turning for about 6 months. It was NICE looking. I put the numerous coats of CA in which the paper towel absorbed far more than went onto the blank. I micro meshed it down below the finish, but didn’t know that was what was happening. I thought the CA was just dull. EEE to the rescue! Wow, that made a great shine! I gave it to the co-worker, and she was Happy as Purple was her favorite color. A couple of days later she brought it back to me saying that something was wrong with it. “What happened to the finish?” She asked. Dull splotches and bright shiny spots.

I learned quickly what WAXES did - Waxes hide the dull finish underneath. I learned that for CA finishes, lacquer finishes, urethane finishes or other clear acrylic type, wax brings a temporary outer finish that wears off quick. That’s it, plain and simple!

SO what does wax do?
Why do we use wax? (Two good exceptions, later below)

• Because we see or read of others using it.

• Because we want a new experience, quick results, and a magic bullet.

• Because of big companies advertising it in their catalogs. It must be great!
A story on this line of reasoning: A friend who knew my computer background (though I never promote it) came and asked me what computer he should get. I knew his work habits and his multiple language writing needs and graphics ability. I recommended one with a powerful processor, more RAM and larger HD than most people purchase. Yet He bought one with an older less powerful processor, less HD and less RAM. I asked him “WHY? WHY?” (I knew I would have to deal with his purchase.) He said, “Well, I talked to the salesman and he obviously knows more about computers because he sells them, and he said this would do me just fine.” I told him, “He sold you the one with the highest profit margin and this computer will be spinning beach balls in no time!” Sure enough, he called in a few months wanting to know why his computer was getting slow. I had to tell him politely to “deal with it.”
The moral of the story - how many times do we see on this forum, people falling for ads, thinking: Obviously THEY (sellers) KNOW more than the people here. I have watched people in the know (experienced) recommend something after being questioned about a procedure, process or product and then the questioner will follow the “Ads” instead of the “experience”. The polite experienced person will just back out and let people find out for themselves while the Ads will grab the neophyte and take him down a road of following the marketing guy!

CAVEAT: My Experience -The pen turners/SELLERS on this forum are great. They listen and tell you the truth, not necessarily what you are wanting to hear. They will still sell you what you want, but they will tell you what they know to be true.

So, What does waxing bring to the table on top of CA, lacquer, or cast blanks? A good temporary finish! However, IF the finish under the wax is finished to its best, wax will NOT improve it. If wax improves it, the underlying finish has not been perfected.

What does waxing add to a beautifully finished Cast pen or CA’d pen? Nothing except another layer that will wear off and reveal the beautiful finish underneath. But we can at least say: I did a good job waxing it, and the underlying finish was so good that I didn't know when the wax wore off!

FEEL? Does Waxing give a smoother feel than a finished pen without wax? Early on in my pen making world, I finished a pen (CA) that when I tried to write with it, it was slippery and hard to hold. It wasn’t waxed either. That taught me that a very fine finish can be had without waxing. Different CA’s and castings act differently, and gripping ability depends on the material and how fine it is finished. Wax can alter that “feel” to some extent, and it presents an initial feel that some may like, but it does wear off rather quickly. So, again, why put something on that is going to come of in a few days to a week or so?

WAXING - two scenarios where it is beneficial:

1. Wood preservative and revealing of the grain.
This is much like waxing furniture. To keep the wood clean and give a real “Wood” feel.

There are a few pen turners/pen makers who only deal in “wood” pens without any finishes other than oil/wax. There is nothing wrong with holding a “purist” philosophy with wood finishes, and the commitment needed to maintain the wood feel by the customer. Wax helps protect and clean the wood. Caution to those who want to go this route and are inexperienced with raw wood. Oiling and waxing the wood, to be effective, takes a few days at the least to a few weeks of almost daily waxing or oiling and a week to let it cure. One or two times waxing wood won’t do it (protection wise) for a nice wood pen. But this waxing or oil route makes for show casing fine wood and maintaining the wood feel! Wax is great for this.

2. For those that wax weekly or monthly: Fountain Pen aficionados take CARE of their pens. While we regular pen makers sell pens for $50 - $500, experienced and skilled fountain pen makers sell their fountain pens for $500 - $5000. Fountain pen connoisseurs are obsessive about their pens. They often know the types of nibs, kinds and brands of ink and are particular about the paper that they write on. These types of people will usually clean and wax their pens on a regular basis. Wax works with them.

If ball point/roller ball pen owners took care of their pens as fountain pen connoisseurs did, waxing would be viable for them. But since the vast majority will not and do not even entertain the thought of it, waxing by the seller is a one time event in the life of that pen. The finish that is applied under the waxing - needs to be so good that the buyer does not know when the wax wears off. However, if the finish is that good, why bother with wax?

Don’t let Wax Finishes be a substitute for a great finish under it. And if you have a great finish, wax isn't going to help!
Waxing is temporary!
Last comment: If waxing the pen as a finish makes you feel good, then do it.

Is Wax a Good Finish? | The International Association of Penturners

Original Author
leehljp

Geoff Kent

Graduate Member
First Name
GEOFF
When turning pens I use Phil's melamine method.If other turnings are intended for display only I use wax.If used for food or other use I like to use an oil finish.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I use a wax on my pens but not as the finish, it is Renaissance Wax (the one the British museum uses) as it prevents fingerprint marks from where people pick them up to look at them. It is expensive but does last for ages as a little goes a long way.

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I agree with Derek. It's not a finish, but used on top of the finish to give some protection, and a bit of shine. It's a bit like 2nd hand car dealers blackening the tyre walls. They look good for a while but it will wear off.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).