• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Weekend In The Shed Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Still having a sort out. Been in the wood shed and had a tidy up, now I can see what I have in plank form next I will be tidying the turning blanks up to see what I have.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Spent most of today sorting wood out. Cut away any splits from seasoned wood that is ready to turn, and removed bits from natural edge blanks that were no longer suitable, I.E. the bark was coming away. The fire is burning well hot tonight!:funny:

I'm only about a 3rd of the way through, and I blame you lot!:ave_it:

My offcut box has now been usurped by three crates and two boxes, labelled "Pen Blanks"! Can't get to the bottom shelves until I shift this lot out of the way!

Jim

Grand Master
Neil, what happened to the Olivewood .. Did it ever come off .. :nooidea:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Neil, what happened to the Olivewood .. Did it ever come off .. :nooidea:

Yes Jim.
Some idiot decided to arrange a meet in York when he should have been building a drying shed!
7 months ( and a lot of sh#te at work) later, the same idiot is now planning to get the shed built at Easter this year!
The wood is way over my milling capacity at the moment, and I'm looking at either the original owner, or an other firm to do the initial cuts.
I'll let you know how it progresses!

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Yes Jim.
Some idiot decided to arrange a meet in York when he should have been building a drying shed!
7 months ( and a lot of sh#te at work) later, the same idiot is now planning to get the shed built at Easter this year!
The wood is way over my milling capacity at the moment, and I'm looking at either the original owner, or an other firm to do the initial cuts.
I'll let you know how it progresses!

One to keep an eye On Neil, good luck with the New shed build

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thought I'd get a bit of shed time today then remember I'd left a motor casing in the dip tank at a mates :goesred:
So I ended up nipping over to his & the day seemed to fly by after that :rant:

This is what the motor looked like a couple of weeks ago

image.jpg

Most of the black you can see is oily gunk, the motor was in a very sorry state but hopefully new bearings, a bit more cleaning up & a polish & this little pillar drill motor will be up & running.
This is what it looks like so far

image.jpg

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Not looking good gt this weekend, still awaiting delivery of start / stop volt free switch, ordered last Sunday, shortly after ordering found out that Axminster stock the same, might have to do some gardening. :whistling::whistling:

Jim

Grand Master
Don't know what i will be doing, but i will be in there this weekend for sure .. :thumbs:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Got to make some pens then going to see the myford

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
No shed time for me Saturday I have an AGM to go to near Milton Keynes, 166 miles each way according to Google, oh joy NOT.
I may get in the shed Sunday, with a bit of luck

Would that be the same idiot who's arranging another meet in York this year?:wink::face:
Good luck with the drying shed Neil :thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
After my little helper went home I managed to turn most of a small bowl and apply some oil, tomorrow I will turn it around and take the foot off. Also ripped three boards down for another project so not a total loss today. I may even get something made and post some pictures this weekend:banana::banana::banana:.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Would that be the same idiot who's arranging another meet in York this year?:wink::face:
Good luck with the drying shed Neil :thumbs:

Yup that would be the same idiot! I gave in under pressure!:sob:

Initial work on the meet is hopefully nearly done. Drying shed is now a priority, and will go up at Easter whether it likes it or not!:ciggrin:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Dont look like I will get any shed time this weekend going to look for a new car today and family over tomorrow for Mothers day

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Going to set the New Vacuum Chuck up this weekend. My cousin Nigel brought me 4 Mahogany boards 12" wide 1" thick and 6 foot in length. Once I get the chuck up and running I am going to have a bash at making a thin platter with a piece off one of the boards.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Going to set the New Vacuum Chuck up this weekend. My cousin Nigel brought me 4 Mahogany boards 12" wide 1" thick and 6 foot in length. Once I get the chuck up and running I am going to have a bash at making a thin platter with a piece off one of the boards.

Vic are you using the same vacuum pump that you might use if casting blanks :thinks:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Vic are you using the same vacuum pump that you might use if casting blanks :thinks:

No Billy I have brought the Holdfast Vacuum System that has a vacuum generator that is powered from my compressor. It works on the Venturi principle. I was quite impressed with it when I saw it demoed at the South East Show. I also got a very good deal on the complete system. If I ever go down the route of casting blanks and buy a vacuum pump the fittings for the lathe and the 2 chucks can be used in conjunction with a vacuum pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.