• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Well Here We Go

Peter-J

Apprentice Member
First Name
Peter
I really don't know where to start as I don't even know how to hold a chisel properly. Is it easier to turn a wooden or acrylic pen to start with. Is it best to round of the edges of the blank first or will the chisels do that. I know this sounds stupid of me. These are the chisels I've got. I hope it's not too noisy or the neighbours will be giving me some jip. Maybe I should watch some tutorials first. Better still are there any turners in the Manchester area I can contact.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Definitely watch some tutorials first. Then watch them again and some more.
Practice on some scrap pieces of wood first. Then if your having problems soult for Helpppppppppppppppppp :wink:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
There is a bewildering amount of advice and video material out there on the internet Peter, the trouble being, that as a beginner you have no way of knowing if it's good advice or bad, and believe me there is plenty of bad advice out there.

As you are completely new not only to pen making but to turning in general, may I recommend two particularly good books to you.

The first is concerning turning in general, and deals with all the questions of tools, tooll presentation, technique etc. It's a pretty old publication now, and in fact its author sadly died two or three years ago, but none the less it is difficult to beat.
Woodturning: a foundation course. By Keith Rowley. GMC publications. ISBN 1-86108-114-6

The second is dedicated to pen turning itself. It's author coincidentally happens to be a member of this forum, and is possibly the best and most comprehensive guide to our craft available.
The Complete Guide to Turning Pens and Pencils. By Walter Hall. Taunton Press. ISBN 978-60085-365-4

You will have to adapt most, if not all of the projects suggested in the first book, as your lathe won't have the capacity to handle them, but the point is, that by following the book you will gain an excellent grounding on how to go about turning on a lathe. The second book is of course all to do with pens, and is also an excellent reference and source of inspiration that you can dip in to time and time again.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Neat collection of chisels there mate, enough to do most things. Keep looking around your area. Google Wood turning supplies , check with them, then try for groups.

Peter.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Woodturning: a foundation course. By Keith Rowley. GMC publications. ISBN 1-86108-114-6

The Complete Guide to Turning Pens and Pencils. By Walter Hall. Taunton Press. ISBN 978-60085-365-4
Two excellent suggestions Phil :thumbs:
I got the 1st edition of Keith Rowley's book, even if you can't turn the projects the instruction/advice on technique is spot on
Every pen turner should have a copy of Walters book

Pierre---

First Name
Pierre
Books and Internet can be a help, but turning, even once, under turner's eyes will greatly help to avoid a lot of frustration at the beginning.

L33

First Name
Lee
There is a bewildering amount of advice and video material out there on the internet Peter, the trouble being, that as a beginner you have no way of knowing if it's good advice or bad, and believe me there is plenty of bad advice out there.

As you are completely new not only to pen making but to turning in general, may I recommend two particularly good books to you.

The first is concerning turning in general, and deals with all the questions of tools, tooll presentation, technique etc. It's a pretty old publication now, and in fact its author sadly died two or three years ago, but none the less it is difficult to beat.

The second is dedicated to pen turning itself. It's author coincidentally happens to be a member of this forum, and is possibly the best and most comprehensive guide to our craft available.

You will have to adapt most, if not all of the projects suggested in the first book, as your lathe won't have the capacity to handle them, but the point is, that by following the book you will gain an excellent grounding on how to go about turning on a lathe. The second book is of course all to do with pens, and is also an excellent reference and source of inspiration that you can dip in to time and time again.

Just purchased Walters Book this week...I've heard nothing but good things about it...roll on delivery day :)

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
I only started in February this year and the advice I have been given on this forum as helped me no end.

On the back of that advice I would recommend that you first decide how you want to turn pens and in what material. Sounds obvious I know.
I bought a pen mandrel and some wood - and acrylic- and then polymer clay. I wasn't competent either material before I decided to do some closed end turning. I also did away with the centre band on slim-line kits. Jack of all master of non springs to mind. Lots of eggs all juggling at once and I didn't know where I was and with he amount of time invested in turning I feel I could be a more competent turner had I stuck to one method.

(Not even close to being an expert, just my view from one beginner to another)

Simon

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
I really like the idea of finding a club. When I started, I started on my own and wish now I'd had help in person. That being said, I think wood is easier to turn than acrylic. I prefer hard woods over soft. Once you decide to try acrylics, stay away from inlace acrylester, it's very difficult to turn. Acrylic acetate is much easier, as are Kirinite blanks. Like me, a lot of penturners started with slimline pens. But I think larger, single body pens are easier to turn. Like the Sierra pens, which I believe are called Zeta in the UK, and also the Glacia, aka the Epsilon. Pictured is a Glacia pen with Kirinite magenta pearl blank.

Keep in mind you will make mistakes and have failures. Treat your failures as learning experiences. Believe me, we all make mistakes! And above all, be safe and have fun!

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
As a relatively new pen maker myself i found wood easier, acrylic i found difficult i have to say. I had never done wood turning before in my life, i avoided it at school as it seemed suicidal to me. I did get to grips with acrylic quite quick though and i have enjoyed it a lot. The one thing i would say is take minuscule cuts, better to take a bit longer and have a finished pen than have it get destroyed.
The one material i did have problems with was polyester but i got to grips with that just recently and have to say the pen blank i thought would be boring has turned out to be the best looking one to date i have made.

I had a lot of trouble using wood chisels, i then found a carbide tip for £6.00 that worked and it was a dream after that. It lasts and lasts for sharpness and is cheap, i made my own handle out of Oak and use a 22mm plumbing olive for a ferrule, cost 10p lol.

I am no wood turner like some of these guys here, i bet they have made some beautiful bowls and the like and i envy their expertise.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).