• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What happens if....

KevinMc

Graduate Member
First Name
Kevin
Hi

Before I go and play to try..

What happens if you don't use the middle ring of a pen kit and just turn the centre position using calipers to ensure both parts are the same.. I get the feeling that might give me more shape options but I am thinking what am I missing on that idea?

Kevin

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Don't forget to make the blanks longer to take into account the centre band otherwise the pen could end up to short for fitting together

Gregory Hardy

Graduate Member
First Name
Greg
When I do that, the band I am turning (to replace the one I removed) is typically wider, so the tube needs to be shorter by a bit to keep the same overall length. You might consider turning that new replacement band first - then you will know how much to adjust your tube/barrel length.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).