• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What have you been doing

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
[MENTION=482]rayf6604[/MENTION] is that the first of many trips hope all goes well and try to find the route with many canal side pubs. Can you get done for drunk in charge of a boat:devil:

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Been trying to sort out the shed built 2 supports to go under the kitchen top and put sheves between them for power tools and underneath wood but shed is still too small for what I intend to do so still scratching the head how to set up for the best.

Was given a Bantam in 1963 when I was 13 it did not work, and I never got it to go probably because at the time I did not know much about 2 stroke engines. When I was seventeen I got and old AJS 250 then I thought I was the Bees knees with the next bike which was the Royal Enfield GT continental probably bought because it looked like the TT bikes of the time.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The first time I saw my Beesa the guy had spent a lot of time doing it up in the 50,s ,he held a cloth dipped in petrol where the Carby went and the motor fired up on a kick start. Later I found the timing and firing control with the points a real pain. The bike stuck me up going to see my girl friend later wife about half way round a big lake at night 30 miles from home.Finally got it running,it was winter and freezing. Apart from these probs the bike was a best friend for me.Amazing performance for the size of the engine.Hard to find the points set over here.

My latest project halted for a while is to convert a very old Tool Post Grinder to grind Mammoth Molars., latest tests show a Hernia behind a Hernia, no lifting heavy stuff. I have to relocate it 20 metres,thinking of calling in my strong Samoan friends help so I can continue.

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
BSA road racer, always remember my dad coming out with a story.

Him and his mate was racing home down country lanes one eve and could see two little lights so his mate thought it was two cyclists and went to part them by going through the middle of them only to find out t was an old Morris half ton van running only its side lights. "ouch"

Always nicknamed em Bl**dy Sore Ar$e..

Me, just been another "boxing" day. :rolling:

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
[MENTION=482]rayf6604[/MENTION] is that the first of many trips hope all goes well and try to find the route with many canal side pubs. Can you get done for drunk in charge of a boat:devil:

Yes Derek, this is hopefully the first of many trips, although somewhat restricted for the next 3 years by work until early retirement. Have a week off this week and a few weekends we can use this year and 3 week sojourn in September. There many many great canalside pubs and we hope to visit as many as we can, but with many years of cruising still to go there’s plenty of opportunity. And, yes, if you’re caught by the Canal and River Trust they can do you for being drunk in charge of a boat, however, while I wouldn’t want to navigate drunk because I don’t want to wreck my boat, the odd glass of vino won’t go amiss. :whistling::drunked:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Yes Derek, this is hopefully the first of many trips, although somewhat restricted for the next 3 years by work until early retirement. Have a week off this week and a few weekends we can use this year and 3 week sojourn in September. There many many great canalside pubs and we hope to visit as many as we can, but with many years of cruising still to go there’s plenty of opportunity. And, yes, if you’re caught by the Canal and River Trust they can do you for being drunk in charge of a boat, however, while I wouldn’t want to navigate drunk because I don’t want to wreck my boat, the odd glass of vino won’t go amiss. :whistling::drunked:

But would you get a ban:winking:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Under orders, well a special request from my daughter in law who commissioned an butchers block type unit FOC of course.

Approx 800 high and top 720 x 620 mm it had to be solid and moveable so lockable castors at one end, full width drawer, top glued up mainly beech with a couple of maple strips and breadboard ends of I'm not sure what, looks like softwood but isn't, all wood from my stash of stuff.
Frame out of 30mm mahogany, reclaimed science lab benches with legs laminated from same stock to make 80mm square, shelf is reclaimed beech engineered flooring.

I gave the top 6 coats of danish oil and expected them to treat the frame with the same oil but they painted it!:rolling:

I forgot to take photos of the finished item but my son sent me this one.

Attachments

• block top.jpg
    block top.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 42
  • butchers block unit.jpg
    butchers block unit.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 42

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Off to a Mens Shed about 30km,s away with about 40 pine turned shapes for a mate of mine. My title there is Saint Peter Life Member.An opportunity to see the lathe, oscillating sander etc etc, I understand the bandsaw runs nearly non stop, heaps more tools and timber I donated a while back. The turned shapes for the guy who runs the group,he is an expert toy maker and the shapes came from a bed manufacturing company half a days drive from here. Bought them on an excursion with my Guild so long ago. Trying to unwind the clutter in my shed.Our eldest daughter is spending an hour and a half between planes this afternoon,a small diversion from Melbourne visiting her Sons family Melbourne is 400 miles south, she lives in Perth 3000 miles west. Our second daughter in Brisbane just retired from work , her husband with her look forward to more time with their children and grandchildren..

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Me with our eldest at the wedding in Melbourne of one of her sons, looking forward to seeing her briefly today, she is 62 now.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0295.JPG
    DSCF0295.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 49

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Pleased to hear the Men’s Shed is going strong in Australia I think it is a great organization I have also tried to shrink my tools in my shed and taken them to the men’s shed.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Great looking table like the dark coloured legs to go with the light contrast of the wooden top

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Visited the Mens Shed,I am emptying heaps of timber from my shed I have been using the bits of bed posts for yrs making dolls for Wilma the rest are for the guy who made the Timber scale model in the picture. 1/4 of their shed.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0006.jpg
    DSCF0006.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 33

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
My good friend the hydraulic log splitter gave up the ghost this weekend. Had to do it the old fashioned way with an axe.

Good for the waistline though. (not too many logs though - I don't want that much of a work out. I fully intend buying a replacement log splitter today)

logs.jpg

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Sound like a hard way to cut pen blanks [MENTION=735]Phil Dart[/MENTION]:devil:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).