• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What Is Causing This?

Seb

Apprentice Member
First Name
Seb
Yeah, definitely. Especially as I've now been able to determine that it's only happening on the very last coat of a finish. The way I see it, the lacquer is doing the grunt of the protection work, so whatever I put on top is just to get me through the assembly and curing stage. Hopefully if the diamond coat is like other 'all in one' shellac & carnauba based polishes, it will do the job. The fact it's a liquid certainly hasnt left any additional marks that I can see, and the polishing action has given the lacquer an even smoother feel. I asked the Mrs to cast her eyes over it, and she thinks it's the best one yet, so I'm getting there hopefully.

Thanks for the feedback too Phil, it looks nice in person, and not too plasticky. I think the issue (wax embedded in the grain) actually proves why melamine is such a nice finish, in that it still allows the feel of the wood through, as opposed to completely covering, i.e CA.

:thumbs:

Seb

Apprentice Member
First Name
Seb
Quick update. Melamine top coated with the Diamond Coat has left a great finish with no white marks stuck in the grain. I've handled it plenty immediately after assembling. I presume this would be the same with a standard friction polish. Burnishing cream too possibly?

:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).