• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What timber is this?

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
I refurbished the science labs at the school where I work, and the wood was Iroko, that looks like it to me Bucks.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
100% Iroko. It was cheaper than Teak at the time but was just as resistant to chemical spills due to the natural oils in the timber. There were standard suppliers for the schools from the 40's onwards. The frames were steamed beech and connected to the tops by steel expansion brackets.
It may vary in colour if you remove the finish as Iroko shows marked differences between Male and female timber.
It is also an irritant if you are asthmatic.!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).