• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

whats happened to the photos?????????

Forum Phil

Minder of the cogs & wheels
Registered
First Name
Phil
A very good question - what HAS happened to the photos? One problem sorted - another rears its ugly head. This software and database is doing my head in. I'll get it sorted though. Have faith and have patience.:praying:

Forum Phil

Registered
First Name
Phil
Update

Sometime either over night or tomorrow I am going to install a new set of clean, upgraded files which I have been supplied by vBulletin. It's not a simple operation and I have an awful lot of reading and preparation to do before that can happen.

I sincerely hope that by doing that, not only will all the missing photos re-appear, but that all these stupid, niggly little errors that have beset the forum in recent months and which have been driving me mad, and I have no doubt everyone else too, will be laid to rest.

The database will be backed up over night, as it is every night, so if anything is lost, which I'm hoping it wont be, the losses will only date date back as far as this evening.

You should be aware that the forum will be offline for a short while to allow this to happen. vBulletin have suggested a working method to minimise the downtime, but in truth I have no idea how long it will be. However I'm guessing it will be a matter of perhaps an hour.

There are two worst case scenarios - one is that the forum is down for longer, in which case you will know it hasn't gone to plan. Don't despair though (that's my job!!) You can rest assured that I will be doing everything possible to mend things as quickly as possible.

The other worst case scenario is that the upgrade fails to retrieve the lost photos, in which case I will have no option but to restore them from a backed up version of the database from before the time that they vanished, which means that all posts made after Friday night will be lost.

I'm painting a black picture though - hopefully all will go smoothly and nothing at all will be lost. However, you can expect the forum to be down for a short time in the next 12 to 24 hours.

Thanks for your patience.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I spent quite some time with my provider who suggested changing from a dynamic IP to Static would cost 10.00 Dollars a month on top of my costs now Phil so I wonder at the need with the forum in limbo as it is now.

Peter.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Update

Sometime either over night or tomorrow I am going to install a new set of clean, upgraded files which I have been supplied by vBulletin. It's not a simple operation and I have an awful lot of reading and preparation to do before that can happen.

I sincerely hope that by doing that, not only will all the missing photos re-appear, but that all these stupid, niggly little errors that have beset the forum in recent months and which have been driving me mad, and I have no doubt everyone else too, will be laid to rest.

The database will be backed up over night, as it is every night, so if anything is lost, which I'm hoping it wont be, the losses will only date date back as far as this evening.

You should be aware that the forum will be offline for a short while to allow this to happen. vBulletin have suggested a working method to minimise the downtime, but in truth I have no idea how long it will be. However I'm guessing it will be a matter of perhaps an hour.

There are two worst case scenarios - one is that the forum is down for longer, in which case you will know it hasn't gone to plan. Don't despair though (that's my job!!) You can rest assured that I will be doing everything possible to mend things as quickly as possible.

The other worst case scenario is that the upgrade fails to retrieve the lost photos, in which case I will have no option but to restore them from a backed up version of the database from before the time that they vanished, which means that all posts made after Friday night will be lost.

I'm painting a black picture though - hopefully all will go smoothly and nothing at all will be lost. However, you can expect the forum to be down for a short time in the next 12 to 24 hours.

Thanks for your patience.
But the photos were back this morning!!

Forum Phil

Registered
First Name
Phil
But the photos were back this morning!!
Not all of them Pierre. There's a huge chunk of them missing.

UPDATE

I took the forum off line for about half an hour this morning. All the files have been successfully upgraded, but there still seem to be a lot of pictures missing. I'm in contact with the people at vBulletin to try and establish a way forward.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Best of luck with all that Phil, not an easy task.

As an aside, the forum wouldn't let me in last night, needed to log in with name and password which normally is automatic, no problem as possibly my laptop but then refused my password saying incorrect.
No probs now though logged straight in.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Nope still playing up, wouldn't allow me to click a like button saying I don't have permission then logged me out and made me log in again :nooidea:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Everybody needs to log in again the first time. The site was switched off for maintenance, so everyone got logged out. Even though it might have looked like you were logged in at first, that was just the cache in your own computer giving you a false illusion. It's not a system fault.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).