• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Sad result with such neat timber.

Peter.

Yes Peter, the warping I could have coped with and turned slightly eccentrically which is why I left so much wood initially.

Shame, I place the the bowl with the chuck attached in a plastic bag with some success.

Sadly Mark I don't have a spare chuck so it will go in the bag with the shavings and I'll look again in a few months.

What was the time frame from when you left it for the CA to go off and when the cracking occurred.
I ask as I have made a couple of pieces that were defiantly wet but show no signs of cracking, yet.

I was given some turkey oak and and is cracking really bad just siting in the shed!

Hi Ken The CA was applied as soon as the shakes started ie as I was taking the photos on Friday, I left it over lunch and some other work so about 3 hours total but it should have hardened almost immediately since it was going into wet cracks the last set of photos was the following day ie yesterday when in the afternoon I went back to start the finishing process. I should have turned the lot really thin to start and left it without sealing and let nature take its course, but I wanted to try a different method by reducing the speed of drying to such a degree that it would not want to crack. However since it is such a dense hard wood I suspect it was tougher than me.

It still looks and feels good from the front , but the back is terrible :sob:

PG

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Remember that bowl? Well the top is still as smooth as ever but its a bit warped.

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

As for the bottom!!

IMG_0441.jpg

And since I took those photos the big crack has propagated all the way across now. But the top still looks and feels good!!:thinks:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Shame about the splits Pierre as that would have been a cracking bowl oops pun not intended. I have just started another bowl myself.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Hi Derek, no they are still moving and they would need filing inside to remove the fibrous sections first. But since I am sending you all of our warmth, I decided to follow it and go to UK for a couple of weeks so we will see what happens later .

Still as a consolation I decided to make a large pot pourri in acacia

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

Among quite a few other things so that I could show them whilst all around me drank wine in the heat, we hit 40 yesterday followed by thunderstorms this morning and 35 this afternoon.

UK tomorrow to cool off!!

PG

Last edited:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Nice little pot. Well you could end up going back to firewood lets hope not

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The pot shows some broad growth rings from good seasons. Like the pot and your different approach to it. Giving depth for the Pourri is smart and the top treatment interesting.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).