• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Are all slimline pen kits the same?

L33

First Name
Lee
Hi all...

As someone starting out making the pens, I opted for Axminister Slimline pen kits...because of the price and also because Axminster is near by.

Since joining this forum and a page on FB, I've noticed there are several different suppliers of Slimline pen kits.

It got me wondering...

1. Are all these kits the same style
2. Are all these kits identical in quality
3. Are all the parts in these kits interchangeable with other slimline kits
4. Do all these kits use the same bushing sets and drills etc
5. Is there one supplier that pen turners tend to use more than other suppliers for slimlines...and if so, why?

Hope that makes sense :) I'm hoping to place regular small orders with somebody and I'd like it to be with a supplier who is reliable, has a reasonable quality slimline for the price and has a nice looking slimline. I thought where better to ask... :)

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
I think most Slimline kits come from the same supplier in China, it's only when you start looking at other kits that you find varying degrees of quality with the concensus being that the better kits come from Dayacom in Taiwan. Obviously Beuforts kits are in another league again.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
As time goes by Lee, and your experience expands, you will discover that although many suppliers sell kits bearing the same name, they are not the same. Axminster's slimlines come out of China and are made for them either by Rizheng or Ace - I'm not sure which, and I'm not sure it makes much difference. Most if not all of the slimlines you find on Ebay are made by Rizheng too, who are a Chinese based company with a large re-seller base in this country.

I tend to get my slimlines from Turners Retreat, which are made by Berea, who are an American company which manufactures in Taiwan. You will discover over time that there is a world of difference between kits made in Taiwan and those made in China. Dayacom in Taiwan also make a good quality slimline but they are not readily available in the UK (Beaufort Ink does not make a slimline, but thanks for the recommendation Ray)

Don't mis-understand me - I am not slagging off Chinese slimlines or those who sell them, but you have asked the question and that is the answer.

To answer the rest of your questions:
Yes, they are the same style, although you can get variations, and the Berea tubes are a bit longer.
No, they are not identical in quality
Yes, the parts are probably interchangeable, but why would you want to interchange them?
Yes, they all use the same bushes and drills

I hope that helps

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
Hi Lee
I used to get my pens from Timberbits but because the postage and possibly Import duties i turned to PENKITS UK and been very satisfied for the last 2 years. If you go on their site you can see a lot of coloured pictures of different pens.
Glen

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I get mine from our own young Dave on here, he provides a great service as well as being just down the road from me which means I can look at the stock if I want to.

HERE is his site

L33

First Name
Lee
Good info, cheers. I think what I need to do is spend a whole day reading threads on here...take some notes then look at possibly ordering from a few suppliers to see which ones may suit me best.

As daft as it sounds...There's more to pen making than just making pens! :)

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
:rolling::rolling:

Here goes..

I agree with all comments in kits and kit suppliers.

Don't agree with ya comment that all bushes are the same Phil.

The fancy slimlines do have the same bushes.

Some of the slimlines have a different nib section which is slightly (0.2 mm) larger.

The PSI classic kits have a slightly smaller waistline center band than the standard fancy slimline.

The Daycom standard kits have a slightly larger waistline center and than the fancy slimline.

To be honest if you picked up a set of slimline bushes, alway ALWAYS measure them against you kits to make sure you get the right ones.

Even if you buy the bushes from the same supplier, several months down the line, measure them against your kit. Trust me you will find a difference and if you don't measure them then your pen won't turn out as you wanted it too.

There, that was easy wasn't it..:face:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I agree with Silver he is the Granddad of pen turning LOL another point a lot of the cheap kits have a substandard mechanism a good quality kit you can fill the mechanism lock when the nib is extended the ones that dont lock the nib will retract as you write so where possible try a kit before buying and if your going to use a new supplier on line just buy a few to test there quality happy turning

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Slimlines are not all the same sizes.

Anyone who says they can compare quality please provide proof.

All parts from different sources are not compatable.

They from all sources use a 7mm drill for the blanks. Bushes vary however using a caliper is a great idea for all pen making.

When buying establish yourself, willy nilly changes of suppliers especially as you say in small numbers makes it hard to establish anything.

Yesterday I gave a Karellian Burl pen to an Iranian man whose 11 yr old daughter is still in Iran for her birthday, it was in a beaut wood box. He is over the moon with the gift. It was a slimline.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).