• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

At last

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Been rather ill so far this year and have done very little turning wise.

Rather than just stare at the bedroom, with great effort I decided to get myself to the shed and try turning a pen.
Started turning an Atrax on some coloured ply but I made a boo boo on the gluing and got nowhere.
Instead of giving up I made this with some yellow cedar burr (I got 2 blanks as part of a secret santa gift on another forum)
Photo's do not help showing this to it's best.

Sanded to 600g
Wood sealer
and 5 coats of thin CA

It honestly looks great holding it and seeing the shine first hand, I feel it is just enough and totally keeps the wood feel.

Attachments

• IMG_0042 (2).JPG
    IMG_0042 (2).JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0043 (2).JPG
    IMG_0043 (2).JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0044 (2).JPG
    IMG_0044 (2).JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0045 (2).JPG
    IMG_0045 (2).JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0046 (2).JPG
    IMG_0046 (2).JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0047 (2).JPG
    IMG_0047 (2).JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0048 (2).JPG
    IMG_0048 (2).JPG
    22 KB · Views: 39

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Well done mate, it had to happen sooner or later..... A pen without a boo-boo just isn't quite you....
That's a lovely piece of timber and a great kit choice too, works very well together :thumbs::thumbs:

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
A very nice job you made of that well done we all get days like yours even after a lifetime of turning 69 years of turning and it still happens from time to time

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
6 coats of CA looks just about right on that blank. The next may need more coats to get that" just right finish" Do you seal your wood before using CA glue? That means more or less CA glue.
Kelvin

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
6 coats of CA looks just about right on that blank. The next may need more coats to get that" just right finish" Do you seal your wood before using CA glue? That means more or less CA glue.
Kelvin

yes mate I always seal them. I then give a very light sand with 600 grit and if it looks "patchy" I seal and sand it again. I repeat until no patches, Then start applying the CA, I use a cloth in between coats to help with the shine. Not sure if I should be using a fine grit sandpaper between coats or just the cloth. Seems to work fine with just the cloth though. The sandpaper used is Abranet and I use it dry on everything. I don't use any burnishing cream as not sure if I should (I do use it if I use melamine as a finish)

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).