• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cross cut Yew Omega

Ratty

First Name
David
This was a bit of a pain to say the least. Having said that I knew what was coming as I had used another piece before.
Cut from the intersection of the trunk and a branch. May have to be a keeper unless I can work out a way to repair and polish the hairline crack in the top.
Its not going anywhere but can just about be felt with your finger tips.
But from past experience I have never been able to take an Omega apart without some damage.

Attachments

• DSCN2786 (1).jpg
    DSCN2786 (1).jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN2788 (1).jpg
    DSCN2788 (1).jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN2790.jpg
    DSCN2790.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 74

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
That is a beauty. I think I would regard the crack as an omen that the pen just did not want to leave, so keep it and enjoy using it.

Ratty

First Name
David
Beautiful looking pen David:thumbs::thumbs:

Do you use a set of transfer punches
to take pens apart?

I have tried using them on a few kits with success, but it has never worked on on the Omega's just to tight.
That is what opened the crack up int he cap, it was fine before the kit went on
Even file the edges and put a bit of wax in first, no joy.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It's a beauty:thumbs:

If you put assemble the tubes and kit before you put blanks on the tubes then take it apart you will have pre-stretched the tubes at the ends then it won't crack any blank you put on the tubes when you assemble it.

Peter

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
I have tried using them on a few kits with success, but it has never worked on on the Omega's just to tight.
That is what opened the crack up int he cap, it was fine before the kit went on
Even file the edges and put a bit of wax in first, no joy.

Sometimes when I just start to press a part into the tube, if I get too much resistance
right away, I remove the part and file and wax some more. I've had my share of
cracked blanks. It's worse when you do a nice job on a beautiful piece of wood.

Ratty

First Name
David
I have a dental Burr that is around 1mm, I will try to open the split up a little and fill with poly glue and see how it goes after buffing. I can also re-apply the lacquer if need be.
I am a dab hand with masking tape. :praying:
Worst case is I have a nice pen to use so can't loose really now.

Dave

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).