• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

effect of Brexit

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Hi Pierre,

Cheapest I could get for two adults Kings cross to Waverly Edinburgh 2nd class out 1st class return with no rail ticket discount is £231 about 275 Euros so quite a bit cheaper in France. UK travel on trains is very expensive it is far more cheaper to book a flight at the moment until the single aviation area agreement stops after brexit.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Sturgeon is all about herself and the SNP even though Scotland is part of the Union she does her best to de-stabilise the government here every chance she gets, she wants to be part of the EU, but even someone as narrow-minded as she is should recognise that it will never happen, Spain and France would vote any chance of that happening down each and every time it is brought up. I honestly think that it would be best all round if she decided to leave the Union with the mandate of the people, if she can get that or else shut up and get on making the best of Brexit.

The EU has been clever in giving funds to certain areas around the EU and those areas are pleased with the funds they have managed to wheedle out of the EU, but don't forget that those funds are only available because we have paid massively into the EU for too many years. I have seen no benefit of EU membership, there are no "show sites" around here funded by the EU with their signs plastered around, I have seen them in Spain and Italy where a few people benefit from the EU's largesse.

We did very well before the EU and I have no doubt we will do just as nicely.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
It is brave to change direction, hard to maintain friendships at the same time.Enjoy summer its yours. We had light snow yesterday this is rare some days of minus 4C yesterday the top was 6C. Another couple of months to regroup.

New challenges, parliament jockeying for positions. Real close election results.

Peter.

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
The EU has been clever in giving funds to certain areas around the EU and those areas are pleased with the funds they have managed to wheedle out of the EU, but don't forget that those funds are only available because we have paid massively into the EU for too many years. I have seen no benefit of EU membership, there are no "show sites" around here funded by the EU with their signs plastered around, I have seen them in Spain and Italy where a few people benefit from the EU's largesse.

We did very well before the EU and I have no doubt we will do just as nicely.

Peter

I'm sorry Peter I am not singling you out, you are just the only one who is honestly coming up with the situation as you see it and as you have been sold it, moreover you are also trying to put the perspective that you see into something constructive and as such I respect your view point which is why I shall try to continue to discuss with you.

Keep in mind that I don't have the benefit of canvassers coming round to me; only my own personal knowledge of the EU is as I have worked with it, moreover I don't have just the UK press, I have the benefit of both the UK press and the European press because I speak several languages so I can surf at will.

So lets get some context here, the UK press only publishes sensationalism that will sell; its a bit like soaps, they sell well because everyone in them has more misery than at home so you can feel a little bit better off. No journalist will sell a 'it feels good ' story because it won't sell.

The EU doesn't do clever and give funds only to certain areas this is a fact; the EU organisations that disburse funds, have specific rules and regulations agreed by all nations (note no consensus 100% or nothing) and they disburse those fund to those areas that:

A Apply this first is important... if you don't ask you don't get!! Many areas are so hide bound about EU membership that they don't even ask ... I think that comes under the heading of pride and pride come before a fall. Let me give you an example as I believe I understand it (now it is possible that I am wrong here but that won't be a first :wink:) Scotland chose to apply for and get a ruling that small businesses (of a certain type I can't list all of which but try holiday premises and touristic things ) under a certain turnover could get an EU business rate rebate of 100% I believe that the turnover is 100 000£ or so. So when that goes??? well your imagination is as good as mine.

B don't have the reserves to pay for the requirement themselves. There are many councils in the UK who for a host of reasons but mainly for their own pet projects have hoarded huge amounts of cash reserves and have now been found out after all if you can pay for it why ask someone else to pay for it. In the main having a huge cash reserve allows the council to pay for an emergency or a kudos raising project (good for re-election) but the EU applies the rules equally and says if you can afford it then you pay for it if you can't then we will help. This cannot happen in France, Italy or Germany (the only 3 countries I know reasonably well but I understand that is the same in most) very simply because the mayoral funding is disbursed centrally (they are not allowed to hoard capital ) and so the funding is disbursed centrally on a per capita basis and not on a politically defined voting area so prefectural areas can bid as they see fit. So What you say? well have you noticed how the roads on the continent have improved over the last 40 years but the UK's have deteriorated when we used to have the best. Perhaps nobody bid for EU road infrastructure money like the French (I do agree that Italy is in the same boat as the UK).

C there are a few others but a pen turning forum probably isn't the best environment.

However, I do have this to say about Nigel Farage, he was elected as an MEP to represent constructively the UK's best interests in the European parliament. If he had worked as hard to do so then the UK would have benefitted far more than it has done so far and this argument would not be happening, instead he chose to take a destructive path and work against the UKs interests. Consequently, I believe that the UK will now go to the back of the queue as far as a free trade agreement with the USA is concerned and that it will take at least 10 years to negotiate one once we have got to the head of the queue. Why should China negotiate a free trade agreement with one little country in the European continent when it is not supported by the other nations in that continent ? Remember we were Great Britain only when we had an empire, we can't go and conquer it all again just to be Great again otherwise we would be accused of doing what Putin did in the Crimea and we already did that once before :thinks:

Before the great British public moans and groans about immigrants just think about how hypocritical that is when we were the biggest immigrant population in the British empire as we occupied by force certainly all of the current commonwealth not to mention the rest who have left because we took all that they had to leave them nothing. Remember I am ex military of 25 years, the occupation of the commonwealth by force of arms and how to do it successfully, is compulsory reading for all of us.

We didn't do very well before the EU because we had 2 world wars followed by a period of poverty which was only alleviated in the 60s and which got better in the 70s and then we joined the EU and got a lot better. I was born in 1950 and can remember that my father as an Officer RAF test pilot had to apply for housing benefits because his pay was so bad so please never say we were a lot better before the EU its not true.

I don't agree with a federation of European states and I do agree with the UK staying out of the Eurozone (no matter how that impacts on my pension which is taxed by law in the UK) I do however agree with the inclusion of the UK in the European free market and all that implies, as was envisaged in the first referendum 40 years ago. I object most strongly to those politicians who lied to the general public about the reasons for leaving and who you will now see have left the stage very quickly because they know that they lied.

RANT over

PG

PS as I write this I just heard that Boris Johnson has just been made foreign secretary talk about being 'hoisted on your own petard':funny::funny::funny:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I voted leave because I am frightened for my family's future. Having seen videos of how Christians are treated by Muslims & I mean group executions. Funnily enough that link has now gone. Seeing videos of how the refugees have abused the host countries & the promises they have made to take over our countries by out breeding us, some are filled with hate & ive no doubt they will carry out their promises. This has not been mentioned by polititions, experts or the media because it might look racist. How come we can be accused of racism if we say boo but they can publicly say they will behead the infidels & nothing is said? Woody saw one of the videos & can bear me out. This is why I'm frightened for my family because no one in power is going to stop it happening. That old saying, There's none as blind as those that don't want to see. Don't forget that if we take them in we open the door for all of their families to join them because the bill of human rights allows this to happen as far I am aware.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Pierre, you are not the only one who speaks several languages and I certainly haven't entertained people who come canvassing. You are absolutely wrong about the EU not being clever about spreading their funds around certain areas, but I can see you are convinced you know better which I don't agree with your views. The UK certainly did fine before the EU and yes two world wars which we weathered and helped in no small part to bring to an end, just because your father need housing benefit doesn't mean we didn't do well without the EU.

There is nothing wrong in moaning about immigrants, we don't want the world's dross, but there is nothing wrong with immigrants who are not workshy and who wish to integrate into the communities. I have worked for many years, in France, Norway, Lebanon and Japan as well as shorter periods in other countries and not once was I unemployed in any of those countries and I didn't occupy a single one of them by force, I contributed to their societies, but that still did not stop the natives moaning about foreigners, some more vociferously than others, especially in Paris.

It's amazing how remainers always think that Brexiteers were too stupid to see any lies that politicians were spouting and which helped Brexiteers to come to the wrong conclusion and vote Leave, we couldn't have done our own research or had our own first hand experiences of the EU and come to the decision to vote leave, we are just too dumb.

You can now have the last word, but I won't believe it:thumbs:

Peter

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
You can now have the last word, but I won't believe it:thumbs:

Peter

There will never be a last word :wink: neither of us will ever know.

But I do get worried when I hear that the reason for voting to leave Europe is and I quote from above 'Having seen videos of how Christians are treated by Muslims & I mean group executions' when none of that had anything to do with Europe since none of the middle eastern states are in the EU.

PG

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Maybe you are right that there will never be the last word, but if you are worried why Bill voted the way he did for the reason he said and can't see the logic because the middle east is not in the EU then I am worried about your lack of public knowledge. It could be that the EU you so revere has stopped the press in France from reporting that the leader of the EU i.e. Merkel extended an open invitation to millions of so called refugees to come to Europe.

In the free world we saw thousands of young men from the middle east trekking across Europe wanting to take Angela up on her offer. No checks were made on these young men until it was far too late, so much for German efficiency. How many of these poor young men will get German paperwork and then come to Britain under the freedom of movement? How many of these poor young men are from daesh, al qaeda or some other nutcase group.

I am sure that the German, French and Belgium people will be more than happy to accommodate them, but I don't see why we should take them in when Cameron had suggested we only take refugees from camps set up so that they could be processed before they got to Europe. Merkel will reap what she has sown, hopefully.

Peter

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I voted leave because I am frightened for my family's future. Having seen videos of how Christians are treated by Muslims & I mean group executions. Funnily enough that link has now gone. Seeing videos of how the refugees have abused the host countries & the promises they have made to take over our countries by out breeding us, some are filled with hate & ive no doubt they will carry out their promises. This has not been mentioned by polititions, experts or the media because it might look racist. How come we can be accused of racism if we say boo but they can publicly say they will behead the infidels & nothing is said? Woody saw one of the videos & can bear me out. This is why I'm frightened for my family because no one in power is going to stop it happening. That old saying, There's none as blind as those that don't want to see. Don't forget that if we take them in we open the door for all of their families to join them because the bill of human rights allows this to happen as far I am aware.

Bill you are so right.
I wonder if any one here has read the Koran?

It is a fact that Muslims follow a doctrine that REQUIRES them to either forcibly convert non-Muslims to Islam and if they refuse, to kill them. If Muslims decide to spare the lives of those who refuse to convert, those people are forced to become third-class citizens and pay the iniquitous Jizya tax. This is Islam - not radical Islam, not extreme Islam - just Islam.

The instructions in the Koran that Muslims are required to obey are completely unambiguous. Here is a small sample.

· Kill disbelievers wherever you find them.
· Make war on the infidels living in your neighbourhood.
· Kill the Jews and the Christians if they do not convert to Islam or refuse to pay Jizya tax.
· Any religion other than Islam is not acceptable.
· Maim and crucify the infidels if they criticise Islam.
· Do not hope for peace with the infidels - behead them when you catch them.
· Terrorise and behead those who believe in scriptures other than the Koran.
· Muslims must muster all weapons to terrorise the infidels.
· Have no unbelieving friends. Kill the unbelievers wherever you find them.
· If the unbelievers do not offer you peace, kill them wherever you find them.
· The disbelievers are an open enemy to you.
· Don't let the disbelievers think they can escape. They are your enemy and the enemy of Allah.
· Treat converts to Islam well. Kill those who refuse to convert.
· Those who oppose Islam will be slain with a fierce slaughter.

These instructions are followed wherever Muslims are in control, even in this day and age. For instance, the terrorist organisation Islamic Front, rather than being extremists, as described by the appeasing and grovelling western leaders, are actually practising the purest form of Islam, as required of them in the Koran.

Such a peaceful religion.:sob:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My experiences over here differ from most of what has been said today while shopping I met one of thirty eight Muslims from Iraq. Our church for years received the overbake from Bakers Delight on Saturday. I ran this for years dropping of to theirs just up the road from home. Wilma with me taught English Conversation with about forty different language migrants, such a pleasure. On one occasion I assisted one guy over to the other side of the room and offered to rearrange his features or leave he was spreading discontent, problem solved.

We met all related families who had lived in displaced camps they have immigrated legally. We used to take them to get their drivers license, enrol them in the library system. Helped them with legal matters. all of them are self employed, lovely people. The young ones have now married raising families ever so polite. The sad fact is universal dislike or hatred rears its ugly head anywhere.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Turkey is a muslim state and it will soon be a member of the EU already they have kicked christians out of there churches and made them public property also the way they are invading Europe the dont need to be part of the EU they already have an army in Europe and have already declared war on all infidels I have to agree with Bill it is our children and grandchildren I am fearful for we need to stop burying our heads in the sand they have an agenda and are publicly carrying it out already believe you me it will without a doubt get a lot worst

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I agree Woody the whole establishment have been burying their heads in the sand regarding this throughout Europe we need politicians that are going to
grow a pair and do something about this instead of all the wishy washy political correct nonsense

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
We have 50 million Muslims in Europe. There are signs that Allah will grant Islam victory in Europe, without swords, without guns, without conquests. The 50 million Muslims of Europe will turn it into a Muslim continent within a few decades.

Muammar Gaddafi, former president of Libya

One day, millions of Muslims will leave the southern hemisphere to go to the northern hemisphere. And they will not go there as friends. Because they will go there to conquer it. And they will conquer it with their sons. The wombs of our women will give us victory.

Houari Boumediene, president of Algeria

My brothers and sisters, we must exploit the so-called democracy and and freedom of speech here in the West to reach our goals. Our prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him and the Koran teach us that we must use ever conceivable means and opportunity to defeat the enemies of Allah. Tell the infidels in public; we respect your laws and your constitutions, which we Muslims believe that these are as worthless as the paper they are written on. The only law we must respect and apply is the Sharia.

Tariq Ramadan, Swiss academic.

Islam is not like Christianity. Our Islam is a political movement. The Bible is not like the Koran. The Koran has 500 verses about politics and ruling, about its Sharia laws and its justice system. You don't find that in the Bible. There is a big difference, therefore we cannot in Islam separate politics on the one side and religion on the other. Religion and politics go hand-in-hand in Islam.

Mullah Krekor, Muslim preacher, Norway.

We are going to take England. The Muslims are coming. Now we are taking over Birmingham and populating it. These people are like a tsunami coming across Europe.

Anjem Choudary, cleric, Britain.

You can’t say Islam is a religion of peace because Islam does not mean peace. Islam means submission. So the Muslim is one who submits. There is a place for violence in Islam. There is a place for Jihad in Islam.

Anjem Choudary, cleric, Britain.

But I think that within the next 20 years, we will again have our Caliphate. I mean that our Islamic community has reached 70%. We need then only 30% and in my opinion, we will reach this within 20-25 years. God willing, we will have our own Islamic state, which everyone will have to swear allegiance to, whether the West likes it or not.

Mullah Krekor, Muslim preacher, Norway.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Our visiting daughter has been married to a wonderful peaceful Turkish man from Istanbul for twenty five years. My grandson is visiting his other grandparents in Istanbul as we speak, our son in law just returned to the states from visiting his aged parents.

Our daughter maintains their own apartment in Istanbul has lived there for many years, taught school there ,raised her three sons.

Our Church( Daughter maintained her religion in full) is accepted, her husbands father and mother adore our daughter, respect her in every way. They are devout Muslims.

Just thought you should know we have harmony. With regard to the world situation it distresses me fully. My Church in Turkey has full recognition it was not always so but is quite smooth now.

Kind regards to everyone on the forum.

Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The events in Nice should bring it home to Europe why the UK voted Brexit. Merkel should stand down immediately and yes I know it was a French national who committed the murders. Europe needs to close borders and vet everyone moving in and out of each country. The German government and indeed the unelected elite in Brussels and Strasbourg should be ashamed of themselves, unfettered movement my arse.

Will we see yet more of the apologists making excuses about being stronger together? Obviously with Merkel closing the border with France she has had a rethink.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).