• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

effect of Brexit

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I get the impression that I am the only person to vote remain which I will probably get flack for but I feel I have voted with my head and not my heart.

Definitely not the only person Bob. Only you and 60 million others voted stay nationally across Britain.:thinks: Certainly in Scotland you are in a majority.

There are pros and cons on both sides but disgracefully the arguments were confusing, irrational and scaremongering from all those involved. There were also it seems a lot of votes cast in an effort to depose Cameron as PM. I know a few of those dorks and they're a bit p*ssed off that there's a new "iron lady" installed in his place.

Not saying the vote is wrong in any way and hopefully we'll be much better off in the long run once we've weathered the initial fallout but the problem of democratically giving votes to all and sundry is that many of them are incapable of or can't be bothered to consider reasoned arguments before putting a tick in a box.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I thought long & hard before putting my x where I did but having seen documentary evidence of what might happen in thIs country if I voted yes, I voted no. As propaganda any slant can be put on information, but the fact is that what I saw DID HAPPEN. I'm not a racist as I have many multicultural friends but I AM a realist & it does scare me about the safety of my family if what I saw was to happen here & who's to say it won't, there are no guarantees.
This issue was nicely sidestepped in the debates before the referendum because it could be seen as racist.
The truth is not racist. The truth is the truth.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I really have high hopes for the UK in the future over here we play a game spot the aussie, I guess over your way it is very difficult assimilating when the entry level was so high.

Our grandson in Istanbul across the Bosphorus was subjected to Jets down low who bombed the parliament building and the airport with effect of an earthquake in noise/fear. France experienced their nutters.

The forum gives us an international feeling.

Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I thought long & hard before putting my x where I did but having seen documentary evidence of what might happen in thIs country if I voted yes, I voted no. As propaganda any slant can be put on information, but the fact is that what I saw DID HAPPEN. I'm not a racist as I have many multicultural friends but I AM a realist & it does scare me about the safety of my family if what I saw was to happen here & who's to say it won't, there are no guarantees.
This issue was nicely sidestepped in the debates before the referendum because it could be seen as racist.
The truth is not racist. The truth is the truth.

There's lots of truth that various governments don't want to hi-light. The Germans and the Swedes go to extraordinary lengths to suppress any mention in the massive increase in rapes and sexual assaults perpetrated by their new immigrants. Sweden is now believed to be the rape Capital of Europe yet the press either don't or are not allowed to mention it. In Norway, next door to Sweden the press does report the rapes and sexual assaults by the new immigrants, mind you they are not in the EU.

Peter

Have a look at this youtube video
, but click on more and read the description below the video you will need to view it on Youtube rather than here. Islamic Invasion Of Sweden Has Led To Rape Crisis - YouTube

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I don't think that can be argued with Peter but we'll have to wait and see just exactly what brexit actually does to affect immigration. I think there's little doubt that controlled immigration is on the whole a good thing as the influx of decent migrants fill important rolls and often the ones Brits won't lower themselves to do as well. Problem as I see it is that :-
1). It won't stop illegal immigrants and in fact it could escalate as the French will be even less inclined to stop them at their end - may even push them our way knowing the French :rolling: and
2). It's quite possible that trade negotiations with Europe will involve an arrangement which includes freedom of movement in one form or another.

Bearing in mind that it's the illegal and economic migrants who are likely to turn to crime, I seriously doubt leaving Europe is going to solve the problem.

Also Bill's comment which I think relates to the Nice atrocity among others is not addressed either. The guy in the driving seat it seems was a French national with no known terrorist links. We already have a large population of potential extremists living in Britain who hold a British passport and in or out of Europe makes no difference if they decide to carry out similar acts.

I actually voted stay though it was a close call tbh as I believed we are too far entrenched now and should have left decades ago but I'm just as happy we're leaving. I just hope TM has the balls to negotiate really hard without giving up too much. We ain't "great" Britain anymore, just an overcrowded little island who thinks it still is. :wink:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I really have high hopes for the UK in the future over here we play a game spot the aussie, I guess over your way it is very difficult assimilating when the entry level was so high.

Our grandson in Istanbul across the Bosphorus was subjected to Jets down low who bombed the parliament building and the airport with effect of an earthquake in noise/fear. France experienced their nutters.

The forum gives us an international feeling.

Peter.

We all have migrant links if we go far enough down the line Peter, anyway I thought you were of Danish origin or do I have that completely wrong? I read somewhere a while ago that only around 2.5% of the population in Oz are the indigenous Aborigines so I guess "spot the Aussie" isn't so easy.
My brother is an Ozzie citizen and considers himself Australian except when the rugby, cricket etc is contested. :funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
We all have migrant links if we go far enough down the line Peter, anyway I thought you were of Danish origin or do I have that completely wrong? I read somewhere a while ago that only around 2.5% of the population in Oz are the indigenous Aborigines so I guess "spot the Aussie" isn't so easy.
My brother is an Ozzie citizen and considers himself Australian except when the rugby, cricket etc is contested. :funny:

Name family from just outside Edinburgh ,others from Donegal and the south of England Cornwall all paid passage by themselves migrants to Sth Australia. The admix of French German thanks to Napolian early migrants to Sth Australia.

Several generations Australian since the 1840,s our families came out here when there was only several thousand invaders.

We thoroughly enjoy Britain V Australia in Cricket and Rugby (both types ), Sth Africa v Australia, and the blood bath between Australia and New Zealand.

We watch many programs from the UK so England have their spot the pom moments clearly. Viva the difference, we all suffer the NIMBY cringe Not In My Backyard.

Love the forum......................Peter.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Bob what I saw happened before Nice & was carried out by Arabic Islamists.

Yes Bill but my point was that they are already living among us and a generation born in this country but still radicalised so in reality it's probably too late already.

It's hard to understand how as a supposedly civilised and intelligent species we can do such horrendous things to each other.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
He's not a Aussie till he till he's barracking for the Aussie's "to beat those Bloody winging poms":ave_it::ave_it:

Or he starts to whinge about how cold it is:funny:

Peter

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Name family from just outside Edinburgh ,others from Donegal and the south of England Cornwall all paid passage by themselves migrants to Sth Australia. The admix of French German thanks to Napolian early migrants to Sth Australia.

Several generations Australian since the 1840,s our families came out here when there was only several thousand invaders.

We thoroughly enjoy Britain V Australia in Cricket and Rugby (both types ), Sth Africa v Australia, and the blood bath between Australia and New Zealand.

We watch many programs from the UK so England have their spot the pom moments clearly. Viva the difference, we all suffer the NIMBY cringe Not In My Backyard.

Love the forum......................Peter.

Don't know where I got the idea you were Danish Peter. :goesred: I guess though if your family originate from Britain it's in there way way back like the rest of us.:ciggrin: The story of invading immigrants murdering, raping and pillaging sarted with the dawn of the human race and has ever been thus, just in different ways. In our case Scots, Celts, Pics, Scandanavians, Romans - you name it :funny:

I love Australia and sometimes wonder where we would be now had we emigrated to Adelaide as planned in the early 70s but we changed our minds due to family pressure. We haven't had a holiday or break since our last visit which was our 3rd to Oz but considering coming back later this year assuming the missus is up to it.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Its a magnificent country as you say Bob, family considerations always dominate and Sydney is a great place to visit. Next time you come up the highway you better divert mate.

Peter.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Its a magnificent country as you say Bob, family considerations always dominate and Sydney is a great place to visit. Next time you come up the highway you better divert mate.

Peter.

Don't know if we'll make that road trip again Peter or even go back to Sydney even though my brother is there, we've been 3 times already.
I loved the Perth area and could fancy driving Melbourne - Adelaide - Perth though depends on what the missus thinks.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).