• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Gorilla Glue for gluing tubes.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Has anyone used this Gorilla Glue stuff for gluing tubes in blanks ? Bought some today because Toolstation no longer stock my favorite Evo Stick epoxy resin. On reading the instructions it says that you have to moisten the item your gluing and that the glue swells to 3 to 4 times its volume. Conformation on its suitability or non suitibility would be welcomed.:fart:

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
I've used it on my wood blanks with no problems after a few pull outs with CA only (bad technique on my part and I've learnt what I did wrong), but the Gorilla Glue allows a one step which is nice and easy.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Yup as above...its my glue of choice...i huff down the blank to clean and moisten then twist the tube in and possition with a mastic nossel...works for me:thumbs::thumbs:

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
I use it on wood and its brilliant but don't be too generous as it does swell and leak out the ends when it dries but it doesn't seem to like polyurethane resin blanks I use epoxy for them!

Jim

Grand Master
I tend to use this glue when there is to much space between blank and tube Ed .. The swelling fills the space .. I haven't used any water with the glue at all ..

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
It does what it says on the tin

Never used water

Never had a tube move, not even sure how they could ...

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Contrary to it would seem common practice I do not use heavy breathing, however if you choose blow away.

It is IMHO the best glue for me. Yes I have had brass tubes move so I used to check every while and push back the odd one.

Now i have a thousand rubber bands and use one each glueing across the ends of the glue up they never move now.

I use the glue open top as always with thin sticks admit to using it like someone else is paying for it, use a potato pellet in one end, apply the glue to both the brass and the blank.

No failures to date been using it for yrs used to have to import from the UK and US, some pumpkin in NZ took out the rights to the name in NZ and Australia for some years.

It sticks like tar to a tomcat and is my very preferred glue, Yes it does swell and fill with burl and Olive wood I often see it pop through unseen crevices and insect invasion from within (wonderful help).

A strong yes from me Ed.

Peter.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Just to avoid confusion for those who may not know & end up with the wrong product, Gorilla Glue is a brand name & not a single product.
Apart from Polyurethane glue they also market PVA & different types of CA (super glue) along with many other adhesive's & tapes, their website shows more Gorilla Glue

Personally I'm not a fan of the fast setting PU glues & prefer the 30 minute Titebond PU not only does it give a longer open time & seems to foam less but I've also found it stores better.

Louie_Powell

Apprentice Member
First Name
Louie
I keep it in my shop and generally use it when I'm doing pen kits or whenever I need something that will stick to metal. As others have noted, moisture accelerates the curing process, and wetting one side of the joint is helpful (but not required). When gluing pens, I run some water through the hole in the blank,and then apply the blue to the tube.

There are a few downsides. First, as others have said, it expands as it cures. That's fine but the application may require that you control how/where it expands. Also, the expansion is a foam that doesn't have a great deal of mechanical strength. When gluing pen tubes, understand that the expansion can actually shift the tube out of the blank. A clamp, or even masking tape across the end of the blank, will hold the tube in place.

Second, the stuff seems to get all over your hands, and it's miserable to remove. I wear rubber gloves to simplify cleanup.

Third, it will slowly cure in the bottle. I've gotten into the habit of buying small bottles because if I buy the large, economy size, it will go bad before I can use it.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Store the bottle upside down as it will form a skin and is much easier if the skin is at the bottom.

Peter

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Well Ed last time I used it I completely forgot it needs moisture to work. When barrel trimming the damn tubes kept pushing out. I just could not figure it out (old age!) My wee wife spotted the problem straight away. I gave a quick spray with water. Someone says a cotton bud moistened is good, I knew that but had forgotten. Must say I like the breathing down the blank wheeze, don't suck instead of blow, or it will be a wheeze!!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).