• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Grinding wheels

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
I have a record 6 inch bench grinder with a white wheel one end and a thinner coarse wheel on the other end,I am thinking of changing the coarse wheel so I can have one end for bowl gouges and the other for all the others. What wheel would be best, what grit and colour should use?:thinks: Does anyone where best to get the wheel from? :nooidea: Many thanks Tom

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Tom I have switched to CBN and couldn't be happier. They are well worth the investment. I went from Norton 3X Blue in 100 grit to the CBN. Norton would be my choice.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
I've got two CBN wheels one medium one course, they are excellent but very expensive, each wheel cost more than My first lathe.

GeordieB

Registered
First Name
george
I got a cbn wheel 2 years ago (birthday prezzie from G/F) they are brilliant quick to grind next to no heat on tool well worth the investment

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
A word of caution. You can only sharpen high speed steel on CBN wheels. Carbon steel will "smear" and clog the wheel. Only diamonds should be used to sharpen carbide.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Got a few conventional wheels to go yet . I was in on the beginning of CNB where I worked at the Aust Nat University where they manufactured this material and took out many Patents World Wide. The aim was to duplicate the earths pressure in the process. That was 25 yrs ago my request was how woodworkers find it using modern wheels thanks for the answers. I noted George uses one in his videos.

Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).