• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Naming your pens...

L33

First Name
Lee
Ok, I don't actually mean this is my new pen...he's called Fred haha

What I mean to ask is, if you're selling pens, wether it be online or at craft fairs, do you label the pens with a name at all, and if so, is it the original pen name or a made up name?

For example, say I have a TM Zeta pen for sale. Do I...

A) Label the pen with just a price on the tag,

B) Label the pen with the name of the wood used, and the price of the pen,

C) Label the pen as a Zeta and include the price and wood description,

D) Make a name up so people can't go home and google 'Zeta Pen' and see that the kit costs (x) amount and question me why I charge the price I do etc.

Nobody has questioned me yet in any way, but it is something thats on my mind...so I thought it worth the ask. :)

Freck Fraser

Graduate Member
First Name
Freck
C all the way for me, as for D, hopefully "evolution" should ensure you never sell to someone like that. :whistling:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Another reason for re-naming your pens - you've already mentioned those who might google a name and discover the kit from the supplier. They can also google the name and find it cheaper from your competitor. No, no, no!

I rename all my pens, even the ones made from my own kits.

In addition to Peter's link above, there is a different discussion on the same subject here. http://www.penturners.co.uk/off-topic-forum/11976-renaming-pen-kits.html?highlight=names

L33

First Name
Lee
Looks like I need to be coming up with some interesting names then :) Thanks for those post links...I shall give them a good read

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I knew this had been spoken about before. Thanks to Peter and Phil..:thumbs:

As per the replies from Peter and Phil, I rename all the pens and have a range specific to what type of refil it uses. So if someone asks me for refill for a specific pen then I know what it is..simples ininit..

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I gave mine local names ages ago but it never helped sales much.

Chav, pusher, A whole range of mugger pens, The bruiser, the thug, baseball bat and the joyrider.

Posh range has, Bent Copper, Dodgey Judge, probation officer, and the prison Warder.

Looking back at the old threads, I PMSL at Grumps names, I thought of a few but I dont think they would help me sell any pens :ciggrin::funny:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
If you don't name a pen nobody can Google it! All I have on mine is a small string tag - one side says what the type is - roller/fountain/ballpoint - and the other side states the price. And if it's wood then I ALWAYS name the wood.

Bob.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I just have a label with the name of the wood on the pen beauty is in the eye of the beholder if they like the pen and want to buy it for what it looks like then what is the point of putting a name on it.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
No need to name them if you make quality pens. If you only make upmarket pens upmarket names seem the go to idea. Ask Johnny what he does he seems to have made some of most everything in the way of variety.

Convincing people you are on the level in every field requires you make and sell that which you know very well. Noting Jim uses the blank description I think the kit name in profusion.

Recently over here the Ford Motor Company named a type of vehicle Kuga wheras the name Kluger is used by Toyota so names can be confusing as well as abused IMHO.

So many marketers of their pens I know who are very successful sell them labelled Fountain Pen, etc, no complications no name no pack drill.

So often dealers seek to promote and encourage their renaming then say home of the etc. Even with new motor cars I have always removed the sellers advertising having paid in full with no obligation.

Make your own mind up to suit your approach to pens, what appeals to you and your principles after all this is your choice. Good luck in selling mate.

Peter.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
I went down the "D" road.
The only issue with renaming them is to make sure you don't use the same names other people have used.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I just have a label with the name of the wood on the pen beauty is in the eye of the beholder if they like the pen and want to buy it for what it looks like then what is the point of putting a name on it.

One obvious reason would be if someone bought a pen from you and 6 months down the line phoned you and said can I have 3 more the same as the one I bought or perhaps one of their friends phones you and says they would like the same pen.

Peter

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Very true, Peter. In the case you describe (and, yes, it's happened to me, too!) I ask if they can email me a scan or piccy of the pen. This has worked for me but I take the point you make.

Bob.

L33

First Name
Lee
One obvious reason would be if someone bought a pen from you and 6 months down the line phoned you and said can I have 3 more the same as the one I bought or perhaps one of their friends phones you and says they would like the same pen.

Peter

This is what kind of got me thinking about the whole naming of the pens in the first place. It happened to me last week after I sold a couple of pens to the same person. I was hoping that having a name on them would mean the buyer could email me and say 'I want another (X) pen'. At least that was the theory...what actually happened was the labels were thrown away so all I got was a vague description of the one they liked and asked for another the same. I knew what it was as I'd only just sold them...but 6 months down the line I probably would have forgotten. A name would certainly help, but I guess if they throw the label, bin the invoice or delete the email then it's back to the description method :)

The other reason though I thought about naming was so that it's easier for people to find them on my website when I get round to listing them.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
If you give receipts for every pen sold you can list the name and you have a date etc when it was sold so you should be able to go back through your records and find what you sold to who and how much.

Peter

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I always name my pens and the system I use is quite simple.
Here is a list of my named pens

You Bas***d
That's a Fu*k Up
What a load of Boll***s
Oh S**t
Fu*k Me
Bollo**s to it
And my Favourite is called For F**ks Sake !

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
You should always keep a record of every pen you sell, who you sell it to and for how much.
Apart from good practice, it also helps show which pens are the most popular, who your best customers are, all sorts of information :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).