• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Turning burls - which way up?

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
I am about to try my first oak burls (a friend dropped off a bootload of wood with some nice stuff on it), but I am not sure which way I should turn it!

I have a couple of bits already separated from the trunk, and pretty dry. When turning bowls etc, what is the 'usual' way to turn it - is the nobbly (formerly barked) bit the top or the bottom of the bowl? Does it matter? What is most likely to expose pretty grain?

Thanks!

Alan

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Ted is right.
There is no guarantee how far the burr extends to the heartwood, and in some cases you nay turn it away.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Using it a lot I chose Burl caps for pens and tend to slice a piece from the burl as Neil said the grain ends further out on some, non existant on others there. The very most exciting burl in Aussie Burls comes from inside the burl IMHO. Enjoy mate.

Peter.

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Never tried it but I would have thought nobbly bit at the base..:nooidea:, sure someone will tell me I'm wrong :thinks:

Ted is right.
There is no guarantee how far the burr extends to the heartwood, and in some cases you nay turn it away.

Thanks!

This is a fairly shallow one, grain looks pretty wild on the cut edge, will see what happens! Just need to work out how to cut a flat foot on the knobbly bit - part of me wants to leave the knobs as individual feet for the bowl, but I am thinking it may work well as a shallow candle holder, which would need to top face to be level with the table surface - no guarantees of that if I use the knobs as feet.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).