• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Unable to connect to WiFi.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
G'Day,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L750 laptop, since Friday I have not been able to connect to my WiFi.

I have tried to follow Telsta support helpline but the FN and F8 keys does not work.

I tried to connect the Ethernet cable from my desk top but still no connection.

The laptop works fine with mobile Broad Band.

Hopefully some one will be able to help.

Cheers,

Mark.:sob:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
If you are not getting any joy with either wireless or cable, then the fault is likely to be with your router or ISP rather than with your laptop. Try re-starting your router as a first step.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The first question Telstra asks is have you tried restarting your Modem however this was the advice given on this site during the together recent conflict with it must be the IP address rolling over neither of these proved to be in hindsight the cure.

I have never been let down by Telstra, worth persisting.

Peter.

DJB Penmaker

First Name
Derek
See if you can connect a different device to the internet via the same router to determine where the fault lies.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Hi Mark, I have an L875 running windows 7 'cos I dumped win 8 which came with it. My system, very occasionally drops the wi-fi connection but always managed to re-set it without difficulty.

If you can connect your desktop, presumably by cable but not the laptop using the same method then it is very unlikely to be a router fault although the wi-fi side of it may have an issue but it's much more likely to be the settings in your laptop assuming at this stage that the laptop wi'fi card hasn't developed a fault.

Depending on which win version you're running, get into the control panel, select network and sharing and it will tell you whether or not there is a connection. In your case it should show it hasn't so if it shows an icon of your hub / router you should click disconnect then after a few seconds connect following which you should see your hub and maybe those of your neighbours (if you have any :ciggrin:) on a list. Click your hub and select connect automatically, you may be asked for your pass key and the system will normally re-set.

At the top of the page there is an option to view the full map which can be useful to see, just don't change anything unless you know what it is. Under connections if your hub is listed you can see its status.
A later version of windows might mean you have to change your settings to view hidden files or a classic view but probably not.

If it doesn't connect then click the diagnose option and work through that to see if it finds a faulty driver. If still no joy then update the drivers from the Toshiba website, you can download to your desktop pc and transfer to the laptop via a usb stick. if you do get it working it's worth updating the drivers anyway.

Here's a snapshot of mine in its current state.

Attachments

• network.jpg
    network.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 32

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
Mark,

If the above hasn't worked then a reset of the TCP/IP stack and winsock can often resolve issues such as this.

- Bring up the start menu
- Type cmd into the 'Search for Programs and Files' box at the bottom
- Command Prompt should appear in the list above
- Right click it and click 'Run as Administrator'
- When the good ole command box is up (black background, white writing) enter the following lines, pressing enter at the end of each line to run

netsh int ip reset C:\netsh.log <enter>

netsh winsock reset <enter>

- Reboot the machine
- Reconnect to your network and see if it resolved it.

There are also a lot of other possible problems, but worth trying the above first.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).