• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi all i was asked for a pair of pens in spalted timber.....
A quick phone call to Dave at Stiles and Bates and i had 4 stabalised spalted tiger oak blanks....thats what the labels said and i am not faulting S&B ( you can't really, excellent service always)
But opinions please i think one looks more like curly mango....:thinks:View attachment 31344
Ps sorry for the picture:whistling:

GeordieB

Registered
First Name
george
top 1 looks like oak Mark its hard to tell with the bottom 1 as the splatings quite heavy both cracking looking pens tho mate

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Don't know about the wood but what is that fountain pen mechanism?

PG

PS you know what they say about experts....... X is and unknown quantity and spurt is a drip under pressure :winking:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
A debate that would go on forever is the variation in a single species from a single tree. The variations in people from the same couple. Cloning is infinitely difficult and completely unneccessary IMHO in pens.

These pens are great, fit for purpose, interesting and impressive. There is more orange in one pen more beaut swirling character in the other . with regards to genealogy??????????????????

Peter.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
If you have a lot of varying / spalted blanks, a good look at the end grain is usually the way forward. Unfortunately once you've turned the pen it may be a little bit difficult.:funny:

Oak is very distinctive on the end grain regardless of spalting / colour.

View attachment 31351

Very nice pens regardless of wood, Mark.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).