• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another dafty question

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Another dafty question by yours truly.

For those of you that use CA as a finish do you use the thin or the medium type?

I only ask this as applying the 5 coats of thin yesterday to a pen seemed easier than when I have attempted (and mostly failed) to use the medium.
Not sure if it was my technique that changed slightly (in other words I am now suddenly applying it correctly) or the thin CA was more forgiving.

By the way I have hundreds more dafty questions that I will no doubt share with you all over the coming years :face:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I use to use the CA and BLO method and found that I got a better finish with the thinner CA. On the odd occasion that I make a pen now I use the Melamine method except on acrylics

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Another dafty question by yours truly.

For those of you that use CA as a finish do you use the thin or the medium type?

I only ask this as applying the 5 coats of thin yesterday to a pen seemed easier than when I have attempted (and mostly failed) to use the medium.
Not sure if it was my technique that changed slightly (in other words I am now suddenly applying it correctly) or the thin CA was more forgiving.

By the way I have hundreds more dafty questions that I will no doubt share with you all over the coming years :face:

I use this stuff exclusively.

E90C73E9-6A6A-4FF4-A8A9-F6C4FE1FC7DC.jpeg

Found it to be superb. Use it straight from the bottle squeezing it onto a rotating pen and wiping it back and forth using a piece of folded paper towel of the sort found in loos, I buy it from janitorial supplies shops, it’s already cut into squares easy to use and doesn’t disintegrate, one coat only, two max one levelling swipe with a piece of 320 scratch,and then dry up through the micro mesh to 12000 and then using chestnut burnishing cream to finish, all done in less than three/ four minutes and straight into stock boxes.happy days.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).