• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bentwood Ring - The Journey begins

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Another fantastic explanation David. Could you build up a few layers of ca to raise the depth for the wire?

Bring on part 3. :thumbs:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Another fantastic explanation David. Could you build up a few layers of ca to raise the depth for the wire?

Bring on part 3. :thumbs:

I was also going to suggest that or epoxy, let it set then put the wire in. or do you have some thin veneer or other wire that can go underneath?

Looking good tho David, have already looked up on t'internet how others have done it, yours is more interesting :funny::funny:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I was also going to suggest that or epoxy, let it set then put the wire in. or do you have some thin veneer or other wire that can go underneath?

Now the veneer idea is workable, thanks Steven. I have a couple of lengths that are about 0.6mm thick - if I can get them in with CA they will take up about enough depth. Or I'll glue my fingers together. Or both.

:funny::funny::funny:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Truly excellent stuff David. Very well done WIP.
I would try 2 part epoxy in the groove and recut it or cut some baking foil in a 4mm wide strip and try and build it that way. :nooidea:

Incognitouk

hmm yes ive been there and used the patching a piece in the groove works ok! do you not have enuff thickness on the ring to maybe take it down that 0.4mm in the circumference David?

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
maybe not part of original plan

could u make it wider and put some inlace then recut the hole?
or use super glue in small sections with masking tape as u go around it
Steve

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
We are into our 60th Wedding Anniversary in the middle of the year this calls for something out of the box. Impressed no end by these.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Thanks all for the encouragement and advice.

do you not have enuff thickness on the ring to maybe take it down that 0.4mm in the circumference David?

I don't think so - although in fairness I don't yet know how thin I can go without losing strength. In any case there has to be enough wall thickness to 'grab' the tube settings when I epoxy them in, so I'm loath to take anything off if I don't have to.

could u make it wider and put some inlace then recut the hole?

That would be very pretty, Steve, but re-cutting would give rise to the same margin for error - I have no way to control depth in fractions of a millimetre so I would most likely make the same error again. Boy, do I miss my metal lathe some days!

:rolling:

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
Thanks all for the encouragement and advice.

I don't think so - although in fairness I don't yet know how thin I can go without losing strength. In any case there has to be enough wall thickness to 'grab' the tube settings when I epoxy them in, so I'm loath to take anything off if I don't have to.

That would be very pretty, Steve, but re-cutting would give rise to the same margin for error - I have no way to control depth in fractions of a millimetre so I would most likely make the same error again. Boy, do I miss my metal lathe some days!

:rolling:
yes but you would get it right eventually and you would only be cutiing away inlace and not wood

could you cut it with a parting tool on its side or burn it in with some wire ?

just thinking aloud here

Steve

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Couldn't you fill the groove with fast setting epoxy, car filler, 2 part wood filler and cut it again! Presumably you could do that as many times as necessary until it's right. Could be there a very long time of course:wink:

It's a great project David, keep it coming, it's fascinating. Great shame you're at the other end of the country or you could have used my little watchmakers lathe.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
So as often happens when you purposely ignore a problem for a bit, a simple yet elegant solution to the problem has presented itself: I bought a small length of larger profile silver wire. Going from 1mm square to 1.3mm square will give me back most of my lost height, and i can remove material from the surface of the rest of the ring to bring me flush. Total cost? A fiver ...

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Just in case you think I've forgotten about this thread I thought I'd share a few WIP photos:

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

So there IS work going on, even if there is very little PROGRESS! {SIGH} I'll get there eventually ...

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Its all very interesting David but I'm sure that in no time at all a superb finished article is going to pop into view :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).