• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bentwood Ring - The Journey begins

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
can you turn a dowel to go inside whilst drilling to give a bit of support?

maybe wrap in masking tape on outside too

Steve

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
David are you drilling resesis and its weakening
the ring .

The first one failed after drilling (which I did on the pillar drill) because the groove around the circumference went too deep. It split along the bed of the recess. I was probably too gung-ho about squashing the silver wire into the recess and forced the walls apart a fraction, isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

The second failed as I was drilling - i used a handheld drill because I have terrible runout on my cheap nasty pillar drill. Again, in hindsight I probably stressed the ring inappropriately whereas the pillar drill would have restricted the stress to straight downwards.

can you turn a dowel to go inside whilst drilling to give a bit of support?

maybe wrap in masking tape on outside too

Steve

I will give those suggestions a try, thanks Steve!

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Well, it has been a coupe of months since I got into the workshop but the arrival of my new mill/drill galvanised me to have another attempt at this. Using the fine down feed on the mill I managed to get all three holes exactly where I wanted them without damage to the ring - PROGRESS!!

Now I have some fine filing to do - the settings (nominally 5mm and 6mm) are actually about 0.25mm bigger so don't easily fit into the holes. So the order of business is: File out the holes for an easy push fit of the settings, epoxy in the wire, finish and polish the outer face and edges of the ring, epoxy in the settings, grind away any projection of the setting underneath, sand out the inner dimension to size, then finish and polish the inner surface. Finally buff the silver of the settings without damaging the ring ... sounds simple and straightforward, dunnit?

:rolling:

IMG_1765.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Go on boy, get in there init?

Attachments

• 111c5cadff9b1b53a392184e105bc46d.jpg
    111c5cadff9b1b53a392184e105bc46d.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 33

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Did you make that one Brian? Love it!

Oh no mate just a pic on the net hence the link, might have a little dabble though for meself init?
Lost so much weight me digit has shrunk and ring keeps falling off.
Had to take bend off pub washbasin cos me ring went darn it init?
Then face the embarrassment of everybody knowing I wash me ands after a piss.
Don't wanna get it altered in case I get fat again so maybe a wood one might do the jobby.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Oh no mate just a pic on the net hence the link, might have a little dabble though for meself init?
Lost so much weight me digit has shrunk and ring keeps falling off.
Had to take bend off pub washbasin cos me ring went darn it init?
Then face the embarrassment of everybody knowing I wash me ands after a piss.
Don't wanna get it altered in case I get fat again so maybe a wood one might do the jobby.

:funny::funny::funny: Your explanations are priceless Brian. Write a book and I'll buy the first edition off you - signed of course :ciggrin:

I'm watching with interest as well, would love to have a go.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).