• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Camouflage Polymer Pen

L33

First Name
Lee
Hi all,

I've been asked to make a camouflage pen for a friend of a friend who's into wildlife photography. I've bought the clay and have an idea on how to get the camo effect. However, what I am unsure about, as I've never used PC before is....well...everything haha.

Couple of questions I can think of so far is...

1. Once the clay is ready, is it simply rolled onto the tube...or does it need adhesive of some kind first?
2. Does it shrink when baked.
3. Can it be turned when set, or just sanded?
4. Is sanding similar to acrylic ie. Micro pads etc.
5. Does PC need a finish? I.e. Ca, Melamime or just micro padding

If anyone can help it would be really great :)

Thanks everyone

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Why didn't you just buy a camo blank Lee. Plastic, and not expensive. I got mine from Vince at The Turners Workshop but they aren't difficult to find. Several colours available

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
There is a wonderful article by West Australian Bob Wemm on the RHS of the front page of the US Penturners Forum that will give you a comprehensive answer to most of your questions.If not it and besides it is in their Library.

Peter.

L33

First Name
Lee
There is a wonderful article by West Australian Bob Wemm on the RHS of the front page of the US Penturners Forum that will give you a comprehensive answer to most of your questions.If not it and besides it is in their Library.

Peter.

Hi Peter...I'm struggling to find it...you don't have a link do you?

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Ive done a few PC blanks I don't know whether this helps

1 I rolled it straight onto the blank with no adhesive and it was fine

2 There is some shrinkage during the cooking process but not conciderable

3 It cuts well with sharp tools and sands well

4 I sanded through the grits but did not use the wet sanding method

5 Yes it needs a finish. I used a sanding sealer first then use the finish of your choice.

Hope that helps
:thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter...I'm struggling to find it...you don't have a link do you?

Look in the Library, then Blanks and it is called Polymer Clay Swirl Blanks, hope that helps.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks for helping out Peter we just got back from a Balloon Fest with dozens of Balloons inflated but the first fog forever is keeping them on the ground.

Peter.

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
After a lot of research I made the pen below out of polymer clay.
1. Once the clay is ready, is it simply rolled onto the tube...or does it need adhesive of some kind first?
I would place one colour at a time on the tube and then put a dowel through the tube and roll out. then the 2nd colour and repeat etc...

It shouldn't shrink however it does require careful baking or it will burn on simply crumble when turned.

Turned as per normal (sharp tools)

After sanding to 600 grit I turned to wet and dry and used wet T-cut, worked a treat

I didn't use a finish and the pen soon lost its shine. At this moment I can't help with what type pf finish.

P9040021.JPG P9040022.JPG

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
After a lot of research I made the pen below out of polymer clay.
I would place one colour at a time on the tube and then put a dowel through the tube and roll out. then the 2nd colour and repeat etc...

It shouldn't shrink however it does require careful baking or it will burn on simply crumble when turned.

Turned as per normal (sharp tools)

After sanding to 600 grit I turned to wet and dry and used wet T-cut, worked a treat

I didn't use a finish and the pen soon lost its shine. At this moment I can't help with what type pf finish.

View attachment 31142 View attachment 31143

Close up it looks like carving, very special mate.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Ed Street a valued member of this forum is a facilitator for one of the best makers of this type of product, look him up and he has definitive and well provan methods and finishes, here and on the IAP.

Peter.

L33

First Name
Lee
Thanks all...had a go today but it kind of ended in disaster as I got confused between Fahrenheit and Celsius and nearly burnt the workshop down :( Workshops a right mess but hopefully it'll just take a bit of time cleaning up and it'll be back to normal soon. Daft mistake and I shouldn't have left the workshop...but what's done is done :(

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).