• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have to say I for one dont like the way this forum is going it seems to be turning into a dictatorship no wonder so many people are leaving myself included which is a terrible shame as I have made some wonderful friends on here when you think how wonderful this forum was and it is being destroyed by a few I could say a lot more but I wont as I know it wont do any good I just hope things change soon for the sake of the forum
Now the moderator team are aware of peoples dissatisfaction I sincerely hope something is done that is why I am going public with how I feel
So I wish you all well and thank you to all my friends for your frendship over the last few years God bless you all Woody

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I will miss you Woody please reconsider mate. I have expressed my feelings from time to time with Phil and have been satisfied with all the answers I have received promptly given. Wend me your phone number in a pm please.

Peter.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
What the Hell are you on About Woody. I volunteered to be one of the Mods when no one else would do it. I take great offence if you are insinuating that I am a Dictator

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Not sure what's happening here but I for one will miss you Woody, a tragic loss mate. Hope someone explains what the issues are so hopefully this can be put right.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Woody, have I missed something? you are a very talented man, if you go, you'll be greatly missed.
Is the issue with one person, or has something upset you? :thinks::sob:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
All I will say is that this forum has changed so much in a couple of months in my opinion, I will probably be sort of warned about posting this:nooidea: but I will post anyway!

The post I posted a couple of days ago which is stated as "It was a small error of judgement on the part of a handful members" was deleted, fair enough, but I then posted again in a new thread to ask why and trying to explain my post and getting no chance to defend myself was also locked and told any more on the subject would be locked also! so yes it does look in my opinion getting as Woody called it!

Just my little rant if it happens to be allowed..:thinks:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
All I will say is that this forum has changed so much in a couple of months in my opinion, I will probably be sort of warned about posting this:nooidea: but I will post anyway!

The post I posted a couple of days ago which is stated as "It was a small error of judgement on the part of a handful members" was deleted, fair enough, but I then posted again in a new thread to ask why and trying to explain my post and getting no chance to defend myself was also locked and told any more on the subject would be locked also! so yes it does look in my opinion getting as Woody called it!

Just my little rant if it happens to be allowed..:thinks:

I note that in your thread that was locked, walter's post has been edited and changed from the original. How he can determine "It was a small error of judgement on the part of a handful members" when it hasn't been discussed is laughable.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
What the Hell are you on About Woody. I volunteered to be one of the Mods when no one else would do it. I take great offence if you are insinuating that I am a Dictator

Vic I was not aware nor informed of your taking on a responsibility as a Mod when no one else would do it. Bursting into heavy black ink is quite inflamatory . I do trust you are able to be moderate now. It surely is up to Phil to investigate further with Mods and in due course, with facts in hand seek to correct this situation that caused one of our longest and respected members to state he is leaving, in his words why. From this distance I see no reference to you from Woody.

Trust the suggestion put forward by Woody can result in his staying.

Kind regards Peter.

Forum Phil

Minder of the cogs & wheels
Registered
First Name
Phil
Ok - I can see this is not going to lie down until a further explanation is offered. That way, those upset by a deleted thread can hopefully understand why that course of action was taken, and those who haven't a clue what this is about can assess for themselves whether or not this is indeed a dictatorship.

A couple of days ago, and I don't see the need to name names here, a member decided it would be a good topic of conversation to poke fun at the moneker (the online name) of someone who had just registered. It was dressed up with a title of "Love it", but the bottom line was that it was poking fun. Had that remained in isolation, I might have quietly had a word with the person who started the thread, and suggested it would perhaps be better to remove it. However, it did not remain in isolation, and by the time I and the other moderators spotted it, various other post had been added which had taken the thread into the realms of bad taste to say the very least (despite anything that Google may have to say on the matter of word definitions, by the way)

Anyone reading that thread (apparently apart from those posting in it) could not fail to interpret it as being derisory at best, or more likely downright offensive, and the new member concerned, from whom we have not heard since registering (nothing unusual in that) I would think would most certainly have taken offence and it would probably guarantee that we would never hear from him or her.

Given that the "fun" was at the expense of someone whom none of the posters know from a hole in the ground, after discussion a moderation decision was made to quietly delete the thread and move on. With the benefit of hindsight, it would perhaps have also been appropriate to contact those involved to explain why. (lesson learnt)

Sure enough though, a new thread appeared within hours, questioning why their original thread had disappeared, and almost but not quite repeating some of the same references from the original thread. Rather than deleting it, I edited some of the posts in that second thread to remove the references, stated in fairly strong terms a brief explanation as to why the first one had been removed, then closed the thread.

I hoped that would be enough for those involved to understand, but clearly not, as again within hours a third thread appeared, complaining about censorship and questioning why it was necessary to delete a thread. Walter immediately closed that thread too, without a great deal of explanation, as I had already stated that I was not prepared to discuss it further.

Walters statement was edited slightly this morning to offer a little more explanation, politely referring to an error of judgement, in the hope that it would again help those responsible to understand, But that has failed too.

So, that now brings us to right here. Everyone here is now aware of why certain moderation decisions were made and is fully equipped to make a decision as to whether a thread, which at best was ill advised, or at worst was downright offensive should have been allowed to prevail, taking the mickey out of someone's name whom they don't even know, and sometimes in crude terms, or whether this is indeed a dictatorship.

I'm not going to close this thread, but it would be really nice if after making up your mind, we could all either vote with our feet, or preferably just just move on and play nicely, and get on with the business of making and discussing pens. Nobody minds a bit of fun and banter - in fact I welcome it on the forum, but please, just consider before you post whether your words are likely to cause offense.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Ok
I'm not going to close this thread, but it would be really nice if after making up your mind, we could all either vote with our feet, or preferably just just move on and play nicely, and get on with the business of making and discussing pens. Nobody minds a bit of fun and banter - in fact I welcome it on the forum, but please, just consider before you post whether your words are likely to cause offense.

I find that extraordinary suggesting that we talk with our feet....
why can you not give members the chance to defend themselves, and you don't need to refuse to name me as it was never a case of taking the p*** out of the name, it was a true post that I loved the names some people use for nicknames in forums, in other words what you mean is do what we say or go! I think Woody had it right in he's post.

Thanks a lot Phil for explaining it all for me....

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I don't see a problem with deleting a post that's even slightly offensive. There's no excuse for folks to be rude. Maybe I'm blinkered but I've not noticed any rudeness on this particular forum. There is sadly another forum I go on that even one or two of the moderators are rude to people! I just choose to ignore them when they do it but it is a shame that some adults don't seem to be able to control themselves. :rolling:

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
Woody please stay :praying: you have helped me so much I for one would miss you very much. I am sure it all could be sorted out some way, I had seen the post and thought it was just a bit of fun, its shame it has all blown out to this. I always say if you have a problem talk about it, please all count to ten and lets see if it can be sorted out, talking with your feet never works but talking to each other does . :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
In one of Walter's post in an unrelated thread he said it was good that things could be discussed in a grown up manner (or words to that effect) and not turn nasty as on other Forums, but it has not been possible to discuss this matter after a knee-jerk reaction to delete the thread in question, had it been left undeleted another suggestion coming forward for the name which is probably more likely how the name was formed, was a game called where's my beard.

Did I intend to insult anyone, no I didn't and I don't think it was insulting.

Peter

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
So, some of you want uncensored, do you? If this ever happens on here then I'm gone. You've only got to visit virtually any unregulated social-media site to see what happens. Obscene, insulting, inane claptrap posted by morons who need to get a life! Don't agree? Then have a little trip over to YouTube (one of the best sites ever created) and see how a comparatively few posters manage to bring it down to the level of a bigoted pit of every type of harassment - sex -race-creed. plus every curse word under the sun. You name it, it's there.
I suggest that whatever started this upset on our great forum should now be forgotten. It all appears to be a storm in a teacup, made worse by the more members who join in. And if you don't like Management's decisions then think of the alternative - we WON'T have a forum!

Regards to all,
Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.