• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

drilling centrally

mdcotton

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
Ive jost posted my first reasonable pen on this forum (many thanks all for your kind words). I really struggled to drill the pen blank centrally through the mid line of the blank. it compromised the final quality of the pen and was very close to having a flat side !. what jigs/methods do any of you sue to ensure that the centre point of the pen blank that we find before we drill remains true all the way through drilling ?
help very much appreciated
mark

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I spent a full day aligning my drill press for drilling blanks to eliminate as many basis errors. The square ness of everything to ensure the drill ran at right angles to the vice. I fitted an X Y vice and Vee jaws to allow for uneven or rough cut blanks.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
On a pillar drill I use a cross vice first I get the blank perfectly upright with a small engineer's square then I line the blank central to the drill bit using the cross vice adjustments and gently drill withdrawing frequently to clear the flute on the drill bit
Or I drill on the lathe

nigel perrin

First Name
nigel
It is just as easy to drill on the lathe, hold the blank in the vice using a square to get it straight before tightening fully, unless the blank is near minimum size to start with then the drilling doesn't have to be that accurate, just make sure that you dont break out, drill on slow speed and keep withdrawing the drill to clear the flutes

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I drill on my lathe with no special arrangements apart from drilling as slow as possible and withdrawing the drill bit often to clear it of wood or plastic 'swarf'. Touch wood I never seem to have a wandering drill now a days. But whats the betting that tomorrow.......:sob::vangry:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
A major consideration then is your choice of drills another very important decision along the way. I use De Walt series 2 drills that have a small drill shaped point then flattish lands that do no deviate on the way through and for me also solved breakthrough damage.

Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I find the centre of the blank, centre punch it, put it in the chuck on the lathe just firm enough to hold it, the line it up with the drill bit in the tail stock , hold the blank and then tighten the chuck and Bobs you uncle.:thumbs:

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Have a look at this thread recently posted:-
http://www.penturners.co.uk/turning-pens/17207-drilling-pen-blanks.html

I agree with Peter re the DeWalt extreme 2 drill bits unfortunately I have not found an outlet in the UK yet that sells imperial sizes of this make so if you are looking for 11/64" maybe need an other make. I use a drill press with a vice for pen blanks but you can build a jig for holding blanks for little money that is just as effective (search utube). You will need to check that the drill is 90 degrees to the table from front and side I use a small centre drill to start. If you can not get the drill press set up then use the lathe I used to do this you will need a drill chuck and a chuck to hold the blank on the lathe for the pen blank.

Drill Press Pen Blank Jig S02:B02 - YouTube
Simple Pen Blank Drilling Jig (CMRW#39) - YouTube
Pen Blank Drilling - YouTube

DeWalt 7mm Extreme 2 HSS Drill Bit | HSS Drilling | Screwfix.com

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
I always use the lathe now Mark, I find it more accurate than the drill press, bought a £10 MT 2 chuck from Amazon and use it everyday.:thumbs:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Drilling as centrally as possible is recommended.
As previously mentioned. drilling on the lathe does seem easier. I always drill on the lathe now :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
A pain in the rear to half strip your lathe to drill one blank then put back between centres or whatever you use. I use a dedicated drill press so easy and accurate and ready to go. I like the feel of the drilling process with the drill press easier to tell how its going. This and other machines help me with exercise. On my mill it is heavy top arm exercise as well, I resisted power assist for this reason. Lately I have centre drilled out some bushes and turned between centres....magic.

Peter.

Jim

Grand Master
I use the same method as the 3rd video Bob has put up .. No problems for me .. But i also know that other methods already mentioned work good .. It does help though with them all if the blank is near enough square ..

Ratty

First Name
David
I use a drill press, just loosely clamp the blank in a small drill vice. Move the table up and square the blank against the drill bit tighten the vice and move back down to drill.
That way you always go in the same line as the drill bit. Drill bits do make big difference though. I use colt where I can get the right size and they are always spot on.
My blanks are never square, this way I always use one side as the reference for all measurements.

Dave

ArtyCrafty

Apprentice Member
First Name
Nichola
Do all my drilling on the lathe, the dedicated 'Pen Blank Chuck' also looks a neat solution, (I've been thinking about getting one of those myself for a while). Drill slowly, remove frequently to eject swarf. I also use my lathe to square the blanks with a Pen Mill.
Image from Pen Blank Chuck.jpg www.pennstateind.com

MarkNotts

First Name
Mark
I use a drill press, just loosely clamp the blank in a small drill vice. Move the table up and square the blank against the drill bit tighten the vice and move back down to drill.
That way you always go in the same line as the drill bit. Drill bits do make big difference though. I use colt where I can get the right size and they are always spot on.
My blanks are never square, this way I always use one side as the reference for all measurements.

Dave

That seems the best way for me, Ive tried drilling with my lathe and also my drill press, both work the same although with the lathe it is a lot slower for me as i feel a bit uneasy releasing the lever on the tail stock to slide it all back when removing swarf so i wind the quill in and also out, very slow,the drill press only has 50mm of travel so i have to flip the blank over :) , with both options it is the drill bit deflection i sometimes get that annoys the most.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
The Sorby pen blank jaws haven't been mentioned yet. I've drilled hundreds of blanks in these jaws, mostly with no problems at all. I always mark the centre of the blank while its spinning with the long point of a small skew an make a little hole to give a guide for the drill. A centre drill works as well. All acrylics I have found do not need centre drilling before hand. I usually drill at 1000 rpm but I go slower with larger drills. Never had a problem withdrawing the tail stock to remove swarf while drilling, or reinserting the drill while its spinning. Just don't shove it in so the drill hits the bottom of the hole.

The problems I've had are seemingly with certain woods, and the drill starting to oscillate when I start the hole. Laminated blanks have done this. It goes without saying that sharp drill bits are a must. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).