• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

drilling centrally

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
The best way I've found is not to use a bench drill but to do it on the Lathe. What I do is centre drill the blank at both ends, turn it round between centres and then put it in the chuck for drilling. Perfect results every time ... as long as you're careful.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I actually stumbled across the idea really. I had a number of blanks that I wanted to see what they looked like before committing to making a pen from them so I turned a number of blanks between centres. Drilling in the Lathe afterwards was a no brainer.

Pierre---

First Name
Pierre
I prefer to drill on the lathe, but I usually use a metal drill bit. A brad point db is made to go across the grain; along the grain, it will love to follow it. Never have problems with metal db, only it heats up a bit more maybe.

If the shape of the piece to be drilled is too awkward, I mark where I want the hole to start and ends, I make a shallow hole freehand with the db at one end, I chuck the db in the headstock, the end of the piece with the little hole touching the db, the other in the tail stock, I hold the piece with pliers and the hole is exactly where I want it to be. The blank has to be a little longer than the tube. I find it useful too for some segmented blanks and antlers.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The acid test for me was drilling 1/2 inch Corian that had to be centrally drilled to be of any use at all. All done on the drill press easily. So many ways so many days.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).