• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Fountain Pens on Planes

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
A contact of my wife saw her pen today and wants one so he will be round soon to talk about them and look at what he wants, he asked her if they will work on planes as the Parker he normally uses on a plane has problems in that the ink won't flow consistently and sometimes not at all.

I have had a search and all that I can come up wih is about fountain pens leaking if they are not full up or not upright and it being worse on take off until about 6000ft. I can't find anything about ink not flowing or flowing erratically. Has anyone any ideas why this would/could happen.

Peter

mattyts

Registered
Different air pressures, if the air inside the cartridge expands,it will push the ink out with it,if it creates a vacuum,more air will enter,only to expand back to 'normal' pressure once landing...

sorry,I'm not scientific,at all :ciggrin:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Dunno never bin on a plane but it looks as if it could be a good health debate coming on with loads of theories to baffle the lot of us LOL

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Different air pressures, if the air inside the cartridge expands,it will push the ink out with it,if it creates a vacuum,more air will enter,only to expand back to 'normal' pressure once landing...

sorry,I'm not scientific,at all :ciggrin:

Yes I understand the air pressure pushing out the ink, but can you explain in very simple terms, for a very old brain, how would a vacuum occur and am I right in thinking if the ink cart was taken off and refitted that would break any vacuum?

Peter

mattyts

Registered
Yes I understand the air pressure pushing out the ink, but can you explain in very simple terms, for a very old brain, how would a vacuum occur and am I right in thinking if the ink cart was taken off and refitted that would break any vacuum?

Peter

If the air pressure gets greater outside,it will want to occupy or equalize inside the cartridge right? (someone correct me if I'm wrong) then as the air pressure gets back to normal, IE ground level , there is now a higher pressure in the cartridge and will be forced out?

Just store them separately or fit a new one ?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
If the air pressure gets greater outside,it will want to occupy or equalize inside the cartridge right? (someone correct me if I'm wrong) then as the air pressure gets back to normal, IE ground level , there is now a higher pressure in the cartridge and will be forced out?

Just store them separately or fit a new one ?

I'm confused, what I have read is that on take-off the air pressure increases resulting in the ink being forced out by the pressure, if there is any air in the cart, but at about 6000ft the airplane will stabilize the cabin air pressure and the ink will flow as normal and not be forced out.

You mentioned a vacuum and that could account for ink not flowing, but my question is how would the vacuum happen and can it be prevented. I don't know the ins and outs of it and am just trying to get my head round it.

Peter

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Yep, the fountain pen will def pressurise when in flight, causing the ink to push out if its been punctured and fitted to the pen.

Sealed cartridges are ok but if they are used would cause problems when landing.... :sob:

The manual pump ones (converters) could be used as they should, I repeat should be able to release the pressure and ensure that they are full before flying and landing.. But they will have to remember to do that..

I would give them a pencil to use in the plane :devil:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Yep, the fountain pen will def pressurise when in flight, causing the ink to push out if its been punctured and fitted to the pen.

Sealed cartridges are ok but if they are used would cause problems when landing.... :sob:

The manual pump ones could be used as they should, I repeat should be able to release the pressure before flying and landing.. But they will have to remember to do that..

I would give them a pencil to use in the plane :devil:

Okay, there are a couple of things to tell him to try, but I was hoping to sell him an expensive pen with the understanding that it would work without problems, apparently there are pens that make that claim. I wonder if a rollerball would be okay, I assume it would, maybe I could sell him one of them as a companion to his fountain pen for use on planes. I could suggest a pencil, but he is an avid fountain pen user, thank the lord for them.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Dunno never bin on a plane but it looks as if it could be a good health debate coming on with loads of theories to baffle the lot of us LOL

Baffling theories seem to be more prolific the older I get.

Peter

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
maybe I could sell him one of them as a companion to his fountain pen for use on planes.

I could suggest a pencil, but he is an avid fountain pen user, thank the lord for them.

Peter

A decent roller ball would do, to be honest if he is a fountain pen lord get a converter and see if he can try one out. IMHO if they like fountain pens then being able to choose there own ink as well will fill there little hearts with excitement..

The top end fountain pens come with converters, but if you don't have one just google them and see what you get.

Otherwise one here I have used..

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/p...IMngPKL-gbAK&ved=0CGUQqSswAQ&prds=hsec:online

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
A decent roller ball would do, to be honest if he is a fountain pen lord get a converter and see if he can try one out. IMHO if they like fountain pens then being able to choose there own ink as well will fill there little hearts with excitement..

The top end fountain pens come with converters, but if you don't have one just google them and see what you get.

Otherwise one here I have used..

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/p...IMngPKL-gbAK&ved=0CGUQqSswAQ&prds=hsec:online

I sell all my fountain pens with a converter if they are able to take them, as you say they usually come with them for the better ones.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I was under the impression that fountain pens and ink cartridges are banned from planes since this incident.
Are they allowing them back on now?
I had the option of sending mine back home at my expense or putting it in the disposal box when at Luton airport with one in my pocket.

I hasten to add I realise that was a toner cartridge but the customs didn't and would not allow mine to fly.

Last edited:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Here's my six penny worth on the subject! Most air planes have pressurised cabins to equate to the pressure at about 5000 feet.

If the cartridge, or converter, is half empty then as the aircraft ascends rapidly the air in the cartridge will expand. As you will be required to stow your table for take off, unless you are trying to tattoo the passenger in front, your pen will be adequately stowed.
Once the aircraft passes 5000 feet and the cabin pressure is thereafter stabilised it won't make a jot of difference, gravity still exists at 33000 feet.

As the plane descends, if you have not put your tray away and stopped tattooing the person in front by the time you pass 5000 feet, the possible malfunctioning of your pen will be the last thing on your mind! The increasing pressure in the cabin will push the ink back into the cartridge, in theory, but once the pen has been subjected to a constant pressure it should, if ever failed to, resume working in a perfectly normal way.

As many here will testify, in the RN we used to practise defence to nuclear and biological attack by pressurising the inside of the ship to about four inches of water (the air pressure required to support a four inch column of water) which is quite a bit. The pressure was released a lot more quickly than the decrease in air pressure as a plane ascends. My pens which were fountains never experienced any problems at all.