• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Friction Polish

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Anyone here use friction polish to buff up your pens?

I think this is the first time I have asked a question on here without me writing a 5 page essay before it :ciggrin:

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
No... Friction polish is a shellac mixture that uses heat to bond to the substrate (wood).... It will look like it's polished a surface because its lacquered it...

monophoto

First Name
Louie
Actually, friction polish is the generic term for a finish that cures quickly with heat from friction. The most common examples are based on shellac, but it is possible for friction polishes to also be based on lacquer. Lacquer-based friction polishes tend to be much harder than shellac-based friction polishes. I have used lacquer-based friction polish on pens, and it holds up extremely well.

There is are several commercial lacquer-based friction polishes - William Woodright (in Canada) and PSI (in the US) both have a private-label version (which appears to actually be the same product), and I believe that the Behlen's brand friction polish contains lacquer rather than shellac.

I make my own lacquer-based friction polish - a 1:1:1 mixture of a pure drying oil (I prefer Tung oil but Boiled Linseed or Walnut oil would also work), whatever brand of brushing lacquer I can find at the hardware store, and generic lacquer thinner.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
No!
Durability is low and soon wears off. Melamine lacquer, Yorkshire grit to finish and then a polish with red wax.
Eamonn I use the microcrystalline so the pen can be used while the melamine cures, which takes 7 days. When the polish eventually wears off you’re left with a nice melamine finish. Having said that ,microcrystalline is hard wearing so lasts a long time.

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
I have always finished my pens with polish and have done for over 50 years and have never once had a complaint but I do agree on the use of friction polish for a good polish finish you need to do it properly also I do instruct on how to care for your pen same with polished bowls I have this at the top of my page every now and then depending on how often they are handled they would benefit from a light polish with good old fashioned furniture polish cover the item with a light coat of the polish then let it dry for about 20 min then give it a light buff and it will come up like new. and I will continue to do so till I cant do it anymore you will find all the so called experts will disagree with me but I did promise myself I would never get involuted in these discussions again so I wont say anymore

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Eamonn I use the microcrystalline so the pen can be used while the melamine cures, which takes 7 days. When the polish eventually wears off you’re left with a nice melamine finish. Having said that ,microcrystalline is hard wearing so lasts a long time.

Thanks for that Bill, I had seen it when Chestnut did a presentation the makers central in 2018 that I went too, Terry was presenting and was very helpful. apparently 90% cured within the first 7 days and then the rest over the next two weeks.

That said, there is a cheat to get it to harden much quicker. :winking:

I have always finished my pens with polish and have done for over 50 years and have never once had a complaint but I do agree on the use of friction polish for a good polish finish you need to do it properly also I do instruct on how to care for your pen same with polished bowls I have this at the top of my page every now and then depending on how often they are handled they would benefit from a light polish with good old fashioned furniture polish cover the item with a light coat of the polish then let it dry for about 20 min then give it a light buff and it will come up like new. and I will continue to do so till I cant do it anymore you will find all the so called experts will disagree with me but I did promise myself I would never get involuted in these discussions again so I wont say anymore

Totally agree with what you are saying Terry, however, I don't have the experience or skill that you have and have never had a great durable finish with any friction polishes.

Many of my regular customers were always asking for something more durable and "less faff" as they felt that they was always attempting to polish their pens. The collectors don't have that problem as they are not handling their pens with the hand.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).