• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Heeeeeelp!

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I've had better days. The front bearing on my lathe is completely buggered. Managed to source a new one from Myford - managed to dis-assemble the head to get at it, but I just CANNOT get the old bearing off the spindle. Are any of you engineers able to give me some tips?

310e.JPG

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
have you got/used a set of pullers, phil?

if you dont have any, and need it sorting urgently, I would take it to a local backstreet garage- they will probably have it off the shaft in seconds!

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Either a three legged puller or a hydraulic press to push it out.

Depends on if it's a taper or ball race.

Can't see on pic just Very well how it's fitted but would guess it's an interference fit. If it won't pull or press off youmay need warming up a little to get it off.

The more important thing is to get the new one fitted without damaging it.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Thank you gents. Pullers are a new concept to me, but the local garage is a good tip, as is heat and cold - thanks very much. Yes, it's a parallel shaft so therefore presumably an interference fit - certainly no grub screws or anything else present either on the old or the new bearings. Heat is the cause of the problem I think, so may well be the solution too. Some ideas to work on in the morning.

PetrolP

First Name
Peter
After our recent conversation about new lathes and the need for a second one!!!!!!
Who would have thought this would happen?
What bad luck
Hope it works out well and quickly

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Most important Phil is to ensure that the bearing is replaced only using pressure on the centre ring of the new bearing on the outside is goodnight Irene to bearing health, wrecks the cage.

Peter.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Thank you Terry. Local engineering firms are a bit less local than you might think in the Highlands, but I'm grateful to you and I'll get on the case first thing in the morning.

Yes, it's ironic Peter. It's made me realise though that even if repair is a complete and speedy process, I do need that Jet and quickly. I can't be without a lathe, and today has shown me just how lucky I've been all these years with out a backup.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Looking at the photo at this angle it looks like it is a tapered bearing and there is a thread at the far end. It also looks like the inner race of the bearing will need to be taken right along the shaft to the far end. First thing to do is remove any rubber parts of the bearing, if that is a thread on the far end screw the nut back on so that the shaft end in flush with the bottom of it this will protect the thread while working on the removal.

Now get a small flamed blow torch and heat the inner race only and avoid the shaft, the shaft will get warm through heat transfer but not enough to worry about.

Get someone to help with the next bit with some type of protection on their hands as the shaft will be hot to handle get them to hold the shaft with the far end resting on a solid bit of wood(this is why you put the nut back on) while you using a drift give the inner race sharp taps all around the perimeter this help to keep the inner race level as you tap it down.

Hope that makes sense. It is easier to do than explain in word on the computer well for me it is.

If you have any tool hire shops near you they may have a press if all else fails.

This is my way of doing this but that is from 25 years working with site machines from Electric drills up to large site diggers and dumpers

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Just cut the old bearing off, then put the spindle in the freezer over night & keep the new bearing warm & in the morning it shouldn't take much force to push the new bearing on.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
More good advice from one and all - thank you gents. It's spent the night in the freezer on the basis that it may do the trick but if not I won't have done any harm either. So it that alone is not enough I'll be working through all your suggestions this morning.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
OK, so this morning is operation "get the bearing off my lathe spindle". Thanks for all your advice yesterday guys. If I understand it right, it's spent the night in the freezer on the basis that it might do some good, but if not it won't have done any harm either.

Now I've got to tap it with a hammer.

ss2.jpg

If that fails I've got to torch it,

ss1.jpg

then try a puller

ss3.jpg

and as a last resort just cut it up.

ss4.jpg

Have i missed anything?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).