• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My First Pen

markmcg

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
Hi,
My first pen...not as good as others, but can only get better :-)

Not sure of wood though, could bluff and say it is spalted beech! - though I stand corrected.

May try another, I think I would like it shinier (I was using Carbundum wax stick, though not sure if I had applied correctly. Anyone recommend a polish/wax or is Friction Polish a good choice?

TIA

Mark

Attachments

• First_Pen-01.jpg
    First_Pen-01.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 78

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It looks very nice:thumbs:it looks a little strange at the nib end. If the spalted wood is a bit soft then CA is probably best.

Peter

markmcg

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
Thanks for comments, yes nib end was a bit funny :-|

Would you recommend any particular type/brand of CA glue?

Thx :-)

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I use poundland CA and not had a problem with it.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
A damn good first effort Mark .. :thumbs: A combination of friction polish and then wax will help buff it up ..

markmcg

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
Tried a piece of similar wood using 1 coat linseed oil, then applied some cheap super glue to paper that oil was on & rubbed on whilst spindle was rotating. Did this twice, didn't see much difference (though the guy on You tube - his looked brill!!). Going to get some friction polish & try that tomorrow with a stick of Carbundum wax :-)

markmcg

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
Many thanks, will probably get these as well :-)

Update, will try locally first as the cost of postage is too much without ordering lots of stuff - tempting though it may be :-)

webby962

First Name
Adie
I know nothing about this pen turning malarky yet, but I do know your pen looks excellent! Love the colour of the wood.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Looks like spalted beech Mark . You could try the super glue, C.A. carnauba wax gives a nice polish, applied to the wood when spinning then polished off. Some are using other things the answers will flood in.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).