• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Parker style refills- gell ink

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
Has anyone got experience of gell ink. I have just got some Parker style Gell refills from Timberbits, how long do they last and can you get refills from a normal stationary shops
Glen

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Has anyone got experience of gell ink. I have just got some Parker style Gell refills from Timberbits, how long do they last and can you get refills from a normal stationary shops
Glen
I get and resell mine from Phil at Beaufort Ink .... the customers think that its the 'bees knees' and I have used one for a while because I always test before I sell and I have to say its the closest to Quink in a fountain pen . That said I have the worlds worst writing so any competent author would probably run rings around my expertise in the ink area (but they would like my pens:wink:)

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
If you want to know the difference between gel ink and normal ballpoint ink, have a read here. Beaufort Ink technical info

How long will the ones you bought last? I have no idea - it depends entirely on so many factors, but the principle ones are, will the ball and tip let the refill down before the ink is used up, is there plenty of ink in it to start with, and will it dry up inside the refill before its used up?

Those factors often have a lot do do with how much you pay for the refill in the first place.

L33

First Name
Lee
If you want to know the difference between gel ink and normal ballpoint ink, have a read here. Beaufort Ink technical info

How long will the ones you bought last? I have no idea - it depends entirely on so many factors, but the principle ones are, will the ball and tip let the refill down before the ink is used up, is there plenty of ink in it to start with, and will it dry up inside the refill before its used up?

Those factors often have a lot do do with how much you pay for the refill in the first place.

Interesting read...and received my smooth refills from your good self this week...many thanks. Hope to try them out very soon.

On a side note...just reading through the ink info...have I spotted a slight grammar error...I'm confidant I have ;)

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Man I am glad you asked this question Glen leads directly into a number of really interesting observations.

Do you know I am still using refills for Slimlines I have had since the 80,s when I bought a large number of the Cross type pens, two to three hundred extra brasses. As a busy user of these refills I have never had anyone rush back to me with any form of complaint re short run or innefficient refills.

I like the fine line from these refills and longevity.

Of course I have never measured how many miles, kilometres they write.

Picture this the original ones ie the complete pen cost me less than a dollar the brass and spare refills were very cheap, had to be else it would have been cheaper to buy a full kit for less.

How much do you pay for Phil,s Beaufort refills what is the added cost from anyone indeed to replace the one in the kit and put a spare in with the finished pen.

I dare say they are good will in marketing, impressive to use.

Now do a comparison with Ink purchases for fountain pens, I do hope ink is marketed more economically in the UK than it is over here, how many makers include a bottle of ink with their finished pen.

Let me be straight up I admire the application Phil has made when choosing refills etc, details of the pen kits he sells. Tyranny of distance dictates purchase choices from our Island.

I try to support as many people I can from here and suggest looking for quality. I am grateful for the technical explanations held on Beauforts web site, for information and reassurance not found easily here. Yes I would head for him for
refills as a first priority in the UK.

Peter.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
On a side note...just reading through the ink info...have I spotted a slight grammar error...I'm confidant I have ;)

Ooooh. Really? I'm always grateful if people let me know of typos or other errors. What have you spotted Lee?

Let me return the favour, by the way. grammar should be grammatical. confindant has an e, not an a - confident:devil:

Only teasing Lee. What have I got wrong on the ink info page?

L33

First Name
Lee
Ooooh. Really? I'm always grateful if people let me know of typos or other errors. What have you spotted Lee?

Let me return the favour, by the way. grammar should be grammatical. confindant has an e, not an a - confident:devil:

Only teasing Lee. What have I got wrong on the ink info page?

Haha...I guess you missed the clue in my post. :) It's the word confidant..."Why are we so confidant?" :)

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Haha...I guess you missed the clue in my post. :) It's the word confidant..."Why are we so confidant?" :)
Damn - there's me chiding you and you get the last laugh. The irony.
Thanks for the heads up Lee - I'm grateful. If just been on the site and corrected it.

L33

First Name
Lee
Thanks for the heads up Lee - I'm grateful. If just been on the site and corrected it.

Happy to help...I have a website (still in its early stages) and it's amazing how many times I have read and re read...100% sure everything is correct...then weeks later I spot a mistake...or worse still...somebody else spots it! ;) Thanks for the delivery this week by the way...my craft fair is on Sunday so the stands will be put to good use.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

It is almost guaranteed that if you correct someone's grammar/spelling you are going to make a mistake....unless it is deliberate:thumbs:

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek

What is an If then Phil:funny::funny::funny:

Joking aside as long as I know what someone means who cares, for all I know that person may have problems with grammar

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
Thanks for all the discussions, I didn't think I would get this many.
My main concern when I sell say at a fair I am asked about refills and can be quite honest and say W H Smiths but would I be able to give the same reply for a Gell refill. (I have not been to look at W H Smith myself yet ) In other words are they easy to get from local stationary outlets.
Glen:thinks::thinks:

elkos

Registered
First Name
Elkos
I have lot of fountain pens all of pens have gel refill which i preferred and also comfortable for writing. And i also buy my gel refill in my nearest stationary shop .

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
All good debates and excellent response.. I don't like the gel refills personally, but I know they are popular with some.

In other words are they easy to get from local stationary outlets:

It's a good job they are "stationary" otherwise you wouldn't be able to buy your stationery from them would you..:face:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).