• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pine Cones Revisited

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Some of you will remember the pine cone blanks I made a couple of years ago (I think) and sent some to various members. I got fed up of making them as everyone wanted them, these blanks are the ones that have been most requested, I think I did about 40 pens with them on and I couldn't stand the site of them for a long time. I am glad I revisited them, they do look good. I put it on a black chrome streamline.

Peter

Cone1.jpg
Cone2.jpg

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Yes please i would love some!!
No honestly very nice...they are something different and make a special pen:drool:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Yes please i would love some!!
No honestly very nice...they are something different and make a special pen:drool:

I can send you some, but they are easy to make yourself. Soak pine cones in water until closed, drain for a few hours. On the bandsaw cut a flat along the length and then turn and cut another etc until you have a square blank. Cut a 90 deg flat on the bottom of the cone so that it will stand upright and then flood between the petals with CA the more CA you can get in the better, you have to keep those petals closed when it dries out completely. Drill a 5 or 6 mm hole down the centre and again flood with CA, you need to secure the petals from the inside as well. When turning use a skew and only go from the bottom of the cone to the top so that you are using the skew in the same direction the petals are pointing, if you do it the opposite way your skew may go under a petal and undo all your good work.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter, those are amazing **5** pens!!:thumbs::thumbs:
VERY NICELY DONE!!
Thanks for the explanation.

Thanks, Angelo. I forgot to say you need to keep applying CA when you are turning, just to keep things tight. You will get the seed pods coming out and the holes can be filled with CA as I have done or with some kind of powder to give a contrast.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks for all the comments, I hope some of you try these cone blanks, if you drill them slightly off centre they take on a different appearance.

Peter

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Excellent work, they look great and thank you for the tips.

Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have something interesting to show

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).