• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Problem I think

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
I am in the process of making a "Dawnguard" pen in acrylic.

I have turned it without any issues and have polished it up, however when I tried taking the blank off of the mandrel it was met with a little resistance so I gave it a good old tug.

When I came to assemble the pen I noticed movement of the tube and with a slight nudge it dropped out of the blank. I originally used gorilla glue to bond it and left it to cure for a week.

I am now unsure what I should do, do I,
a) sand off the old glue and reuse the gorilla glue?
b) sand off the old glue and go for super glue? (Not sure if medium or thin to use)
c) just assemble the pen "as is"?

Thanks
Gary

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I personally have never had an issue with Gorilla PU glue, but on this occasion as its a finished blank, I would also go two part epoxy as it's cleaner..... All you need it to do is stop the blank spinning on the kit, the ends will hold the blank on the tube, but not stop it turning.
If the glue failed it could be the blank got too hot or the hole was too baggy.... Most likely too hot as you say it seemed stuck to the mandrel :thumbs::thumbs:

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Given the gap filling abilities I’d be surprised if the hole was that big as you’d probably notice it? Good luck anyway, let us know how it works out.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Given the gap filling abilities I’d be surprised if the hole was that big as you’d probably notice it? Good luck anyway, let us know how it works out.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).