• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What else is required or recommended?

APH

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
If you must use CA, and I think the melamine route is easier and probably better, make sure you have debonder available. Also think about using some disposable latex/nitrile gloves when handling CA. The ones available for food handling are fine and dead cheap.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
If you must use CA, and I think the melamine route is easier and probably better, make sure you have debonder available. Also think about using some disposable latex/nitrile gloves when handling CA. The ones available for food handling are fine and dead cheap.

Good advice Paul.

DaddyG

First Name
Graham
Am quite used to using ca and activator at work so should be ok, will check bank before I decide on what finish to go with I may be able to stretch to the sealer/thinners/melamine!!!

Wheres the best place to get this have only used Snainton mail order up to now and is there a recommended Carnauba or will any be ok?

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
If you go for a Melamine finish I don’t think you need to add anything but you can top it off with something like Microcrystalline Wax if you want as this doesn’t tend to show finger marks.

Microcrystalline wax has several uses in the Workshop so it’s very handy to have. I use it on the Lathe bed to make the banjo and tailstock easy to slide. It’s also used on my bandsaw table and even on my lathe paintwork to protect it. A little goes a long way.

DaddyG

First Name
Graham
Cheers everyone, well lathe and chuck turned up!!!

However I am still waiting for my extra jaws, Jacob chuck and more importantly the pen mandrel and starter kit with pens!!!

Give them there due they are offered to drop them off when they come in, however I'm going to pick them up as will of been paid so will get the sanding sealer, thinners, melamine and either carnauba or
Microcrystalline wax !!!!

Pastor of Muppets

First Name
Andy
Cheers everyone, well lathe and chuck turned up!!!

However I am still waiting for my extra jaws, Jacob chuck and more importantly the pen mandrel and starter kit with pens!!!

Give them there due they are offered to drop them off when they come in, however I'm going to pick them up as will of been paid so will get the sanding sealer, thinners, melamine and either carnauba or
Microcrystalline wax !!!!

Hampshire Sheen make two sticks I really like. Carnacrystaline Wax and Penturners Overcoat. Both of which give a lovely long lasting top coat.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
When you bed the lathe give careful thought to the positioning with regard to access and usable space with a view to removing dust. A recommended height to the chuck is that of you bent elbow to the chuck for starters.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).