• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Where Can I get Handmade/Turned Mahogany/ wooden Fountain Pens In the London Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farhanc

Hello

How much of a detailed schematic do you think the people on this forum would need and if nib seller cannot give me schematic where should where do you think I should get the technical about the nib I want to purchase , so some can make fountain pen for me

any help appreciated.

Yours

Farhan

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Out of my league Farhan, but i am sure someone here could do this. :thumbs:

farhanc

Hello
I was thinking about using the following nibs, however the pen turners need detailed images of complete nib assembly with the required ink sac, feed and section or schematic of the nibs to if the pens they make fit the nibs I choose to use.

The nibs are
Sheaffer 33 14ct Gold Nib. Fine, Stiff.
Sheaffer 33 14ct Gold Nib. Medium, Stiff.
Sheaffer 3-25 14ct Gold Nib. Fine, Stiff
Sheaffer #3 14ct Gold Nib. Medium, Stiff

Watermans Ideal #2 Accounts 14ct Gold Nib. Fine, Stiff.
Watermans Ideal #2 14ct Gold Nib. Medium, Slight Flex.
Watermans Ideal #2A 14ct Gold Nib. Medium, Stiff.

So if anyone can give me specification/schematic/dimensions nibs.
Any help appreciated on this matter.

Yours

Farhan

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Farhan, apart from the usual length, diameter and so on measurements of each component, (with photos if possible), the absolutely crucial measurement is any threading requirements between the nib/feed/housing (referred to collectively as the section) and the pen barrel. This often scuppers any plan to make up a custom pen because each manufacturer uses their own proprietary threading and a custom-made tap/die may be required, at a cost measured in hundreds of pounds. That's before we even START making the pen!

Also, threads cannot usually be cut in wood because wood is too soft and the threads tear out. So if you must have mahogany pens, you'll be paying someone to make a wooden 'sleeve' over a resin pen structure - an expensive undertaking requiring years of experience.

I'm not telling you what to do, but here are my thoughts:

The 'kit' pen Alex quoted to make for you comes with a reasonably good steel nib plated in 22kt gold. For a £50 pen it's more than good enough. Even more so as it will have 'Iridium Point Germany' stamped on it (often abbreviated to IPG in this industry) leading the recipient of the pen to believe that it is German-made. (It's not - it's Chinese, but that's our little secret!) Iridium, by the way, is the metal used to make the tiny 'blob' at the end of the nib which comes in contact with the paper. ALL nibs use Iridium or some metal in that family because they are super hard-wearing and prolong the life of the nib. Especially so do gold nibs have Iridium points as gold is a very soft metal and would wear out in minutes or hours.

If you absolutely MUST have a solid gold nib (with an Iridium point, natch) then I highly recommend that you go to The Golden Nib and buy the SMALL nibs from him. Just buy the nibs, nothing else. Then Alex can swap the kit nibs on the pens he has made for you for these solid gold ones. The reason you should buy those nibs and no tohers is that we know for sure they will fit on the kits you wanted from Alex. Shaeffer or Waterman nibs are designed to fit Shaeffer or Waterman pens, and are unlikely to fit the Baron kit.

Any other approach is going to cost you far more. This is the same advice you got from IAP (and no doubt from the other forums you've tried too). I hope this answers your questions.

David

farhanc

Re: nib schematic research info

Hello
I have contacted a number of people form the Manufactures of the nibs and a number of Pen/Nib Repairs from around the world.

One of nib manufactures contacted me and after a conversation via e-mail with the UK office they told me they had no information. I then enquired if the American offices had the information I wanted, the manufacture stated that information is their property and do not want it give it out.

One of the pen repairers has said to me they will try and give me the information I require on the nibs I am looking at.

So If I can get the information I will post here to see if anyone can make nibs fit the turned pen I spoke about.

Yours

Farhan

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
the thing is we do not know for sure that they will fit even after looking a the spec

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Farhan, all I can say is that I hope you have adjusted your budget upward by a healthy amount. I think you'd be lucky to get anyone skilled enough to do what you're asking for less than £200 a pen, excluding the cost of the nib/section/ink sac. Perhaps you'd like to share your revised budget with us, just so that we can decide whether to quote if/when you get the specs you're waiting on?

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Cor Blimey, reading through that lot was hard work.
I think that's what Farhan is too, what a load of old twaddle.
I wouldn't even bother entertaining the person he is clearly having a joke with you.
He has popped up on everywhere I have looked and dillied and dallied and beaten about the bush.
If he was serious he would have got his money out and commissioned someone by now.
Stop sodding about Farhan buy the pen buy the nib and put them together yourself.
You might want to delete this post or bar me Jim But i think this idiot has gone on long enough in to many places.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
You might want to delete this post or bar me Jim But i think this idiot has gone on long enough in to many places.

Actually I think you were quite restrained, George. No £&@£ing, no suggestion that someone's face should repeatedly strike your fist, no personal slurs. All in all a balanced and welcome addition to this particular conversation! :thinks:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I don't know what to think of this thread thats why i have kept out of it, i am not sure if this is a genuine request or if it is someone who gets off posting silly requests. :nooidea:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
This guy has posted on WWI, AWGB, UKW, IAP that I know of. He is at best a cheapskate who wants a bespoke pen for less than the price of the components or at worst a time wasting troll. I would go for the latter. Sorry one of my first posts on this forum is so negative but I am sick of the sight of this guy's time wasting posts every time I visit a forum and I don't want to see any of you chaps get ripped off by him.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Maybe he needs to look at the cost of the components to make a top class bespoke pen with a gold Bock nib:

dns-MASTER 18Kt Bi-Gold Nib-Broad ― Phil Irons Woodturning

:rolling:

then add on the making time (say minimum six hours) at £30 an hour plus overheads and profit.

We are talking £300 plus, not £50 which is after all only the price of half a tank of petrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.