• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Which glue

sammy

Graduate Member
First Name
George
Is there a simple one tube glue for sticking tubes in blanks. I tried ca but had a couple of disasters when it set before the tube was in the right place. So I tried epoxy but trying to get two equal amounts out of the tubes is a pain, even with one of those twin tube jobbies. What glue do you all use.
George

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Yep, after asking on here and being recommended gorilla glue, I switched to that. Seems to work well, and no more glued fingers!

DJB Penmaker

First Name
Derek
I use the Titebond thick superglue for the tubes it has a longer setting time and fills gaps. I use the cheap screwfix glue for finishes

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Just wondering what those advantages might be.

Non-exhaustive list:

No harmful fumes to endanger lungs, eyes and nose
No possibility to induce flu-like symptoms, which once encountered is an irreversible and unavoidable side effect of CA use thereafter
No possibility to glue your fingers together
No possibility of the glue curing before the tube is fully inserted.
Gorilla is designed to bond metal to other mediums, which CA is specifically not. Whether or not bond failure has been experienced it is prone to failure.
Easy blank clean up
Easy work station clean up
Better shelf life
Easier application
Reliable quality, not dependent on whether it came from the pound shop or John Lewis
Expanding - (gap filling properties) Tolerant of +/- drill bit sizing and and/or runout.

Enough to be going on with:thumbs:

DJB Penmaker

First Name
Derek
Non-exhaustive list:

No harmful fumes to endanger lungs, eyes and nose
No possibility to induce flu-like symptoms, which once encountered is an irreversible and unavoidable side effect of CA use thereafter
No possibility to glue your fingers together
No possibility of the glue curing before the tube is fully inserted.
Gorilla is designed to bond metal to other mediums, which CA is specifically not. Whether or not bond failure has been experienced it is prone to failure.
Easy blank clean up
Easy work station clean up
Better shelf life
Easier application
Reliable quality, not dependent on whether it came from the pound shop or John Lewis
Expanding - (gap filling properties) Tolerant of +/- drill bit sizing and and/or runout.

Enough to be going on with:thumbs:
Thanks, you might have a convert after reading that. Going to give it a try

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I use gorilla glue on timber but use ca or epoxy on acrylic as I find gorilla glue dulls the colour on acrylic.

Bob Ellis

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I never use CA glue for tube insertion because of the risk of it going off too quickly. I don't like Gorilla Glue because of its short shelf life and the danger of tubes moving during the curing process. My preferred glue is epoxy - not the twin tubes, which are a pain, but the type with two separate squeezy bottles. In my experience, it is not essential to get an exact 50/50 mix; an approximation will do. The epoxy I use most often has a 15 minute curing time, which is usually ample but, if I am gluing a batch of tubes in their blanks at the same time, I use 30 minute epoxy. An additional advantage of epoxy is that you can mix some colour in with it, which saves the need to paint the tubes first when making acrylic pens. The colour I use is either Humbrol enamel paint from tinlets or nail varnish.

Chriscb

First Name
Chris
Afternoon,

Just to go against the flow, I use Epoxy - 5 minute version for 1 or 2 pens, and 30 minute for any bigger batches. Gloves are essential just to keep the hands clean. As mentioned above, I don't aim for an exactly equal volume of resin and hardener but I do mix up the parts for at least 20 seconds before I use the glue. I don't like CA glue, I find the stuff too aromatic (!) for my olfactory sense.

During my student days (lots of time to pursue odd research) I actually wrote a paper comparing the effect of mixing times and varying ratios of resin and hardener on the stickiness of epoxy glue. The conclusion was that thorough mixing had more effect on the stickiness than not using a 50:50 mix, and the most effective regime was mixing a ratio of 55% hardener to 45% resin for 20 seconds.

Regards,

Chriscb

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).