• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Which glue

sammy

Graduate Member
First Name
George
Thanks for your replies to my question. I will be knocking the ca on the head after Phil's comments and trying the gorilla glue, wearing gloves of course.
George

sammy

Graduate Member
First Name
George
Thanks for all your replies, I will be giving the gorilla glue a go especially after Phil's comments. Edit Sorry for the repeat reply, I thought it hadn't uploaded the first time
George

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Afternoon,

Just to go against the flow, I use Epoxy - 5 minute version for 1 or 2 pens, and 30 minute for any bigger batches. Gloves are essential just to keep the hands clean. As mentioned above, I don't aim for an exactly equal volume of resin and hardener but I do mix up the parts for at least 20 seconds before I use the glue. I don't like CA glue, I find the stuff too aromatic (!) for my olfactory sense.

During my student days (lots of time to pursue odd research) I actually wrote a paper comparing the effect of mixing times and varying ratios of resin and hardener on the stickiness of epoxy glue. The conclusion was that thorough mixing had more effect on the stickiness than not using a 50:50 mix, and the most effective regime was mixing a ratio of 55% hardener to 45% resin for 20 seconds.

Regards,

Chriscb

Interesting, In the COLDER months :tongue: I add a little more hardener.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Full marks go to anyone with multiple pens to glue up who use 5 minute Epoxy it sure is nowhere as strong as the longer set and is fluid for such a short time. A great tip is to make a bed of green tape to mix it on.

Peter.

Skil Phil

Superglue (ca) has a bad allergic reaction with me. Will not use again. Gunk
PU - Gorilla is messy and has a short shelf life. Waste half of what you buy. Gunk
Epoxy - bit messy but no allergies and long shelf life. Use long set - not the quicky stuff - Cheaper than PU. Good.
Phil

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
I pretty much echo the rest, Gorilla for woods, Epoxy for plastics.

I've mostly been using 5min epoxy (Yes Peter, even for multiple pens but generally only upto 5 tubes at a time) but want to look at getting 30min next. If anyone has suggestions for good value UK suppliers please feel free to point them out.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).