• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Sorry if this is a daft question as never been to a meet, but what happens at these meets? Is it meeting up for a meal & drinks? & chat about pen turning of course! Is it daytime or evening?

Myself & wife would be up for it, if we can arrange respite care for our daughter if it's a evening.

Jackie my wife is getting involved in pen turning & all these moulds & casting, but isn't a forum member yet!

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Sorry if this is a daft question as never been to a meet, but what happens at these meets? Is it meeting up for a meal & drinks? & chat about pen turning of course! Is it daytime or evening?

Myself & wife would be up for it, if we can arrange respite care for our daughter if it's a evening.

Hi Paul. It was usually a weekend day event, and probably will be again.
Here is a quick explanation I put for newbies on facebook.

For 2 years in a row I hosted a day event at the school I worked in. We had demonstrations and auctions of donated goods, with the profit going to buy tools or materials for the dt dept. The ticket price paid for the buffet lunch and any demo costs. The first year Walter and Philip Greenwood gave their services for free. The second year Tony Wilson demoed all day at a very charitable rate that covered his expenses. We had sales as well from Dan, myself, and other wood suppliers. Mostly though, people just wanted to come for the meet up and have a good chin wag. Both times well over £1000 was raised at the auction. Obviously costs will be higher this time as I'll have to hire a venue, so the tenner ticket price might rise a tad. If this comes off and we have an auction again, all the money from that will go to Bill Mooney for Blind Veterans.

Hope this helps.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul. It was usually a weekend day event, and probably will be again.
Here is a quick explanation I put for newbies on facebook.

For 2 years in a row I hosted a day event at the school I worked in. We had demonstrations and auctions of donated goods, with the profit going to buy tools or materials for the dt dept. The ticket price paid for the buffet lunch and any demo costs. The first year Walter and Philip Greenwood gave their services for free. The second year Tony Wilson demoed all day at a very charitable rate that covered his expenses. We had sales as well from Dan, myself, and other wood suppliers. Mostly though, people just wanted to come for the meet up and have a good chin wag. Both times well over £1000 was raised at the auction. Obviously costs will be higher this time as I'll have to hire a venue, so the tenner ticket price might rise a tad. If this comes off and we have an auction again, all the money from that will go to Bill Mooney for Blind Veterans.

Hope this helps.

THANKS for the explanation Neil, we'd be up for it as long as week could arrange some care for our disabled daughter.

Jackie

Apprentice Member
First Name
Jackie
Jackie my wife is getting involved in pen turning & all these moulds & casting, but isn't a forum member yet!

Oh yes I am, I havn't had time to post yet though as you are keeping me too busy knocking bloody walls down & making moulds lol xx

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
It's a pity Llandudno is so far away as it would probably be a free venue with a workshop with three lathes & a nice big room for the auction etc. A chance to meet the members & staff & a look at our facilities.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).