• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Finishes for wooden pens

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
What I really think about finishes for wooden pens.

Originally posted on Facebook, updated and posted here at Phil’s request.

I have written about pen finishes on a number of occasions but invariably my views have been constrained either by the need to be comprehensive and inclusive in magazine articles or the need to not get banned from forums for telling people what I really thought of their ideas. Here is what I really think and I don’t care whether you agree with me or not, I am not going to argue with anyone other than to correct matters of fact, but I do hope to stimulate debate.

Friction polish (even if someone has given it a fancy name like Shellawax or Penturners Sauce).

In the dark ages when I started making pens you had a choice, you could use friction polish or friction polish. As a finish for something you are going to handle every day it was and remains truly useless. If you are going to make pens and display them in a cabinet, then it might just be OK but otherwise it really is a waste of time. Some will say that they have used a friction polished pen every day for ten years and it still has a good finish on it. Liar! Liar! pants on fire!! If it has any finish on it at all it has developed a patina from use like on the handle of a well-used chisel. Friction polishes are made up of a mix of waxes or oils and shellac none of which will stand up to the daily use that a pen will be subjected to.

Wax polish (including buffing systems and “hut sticks” and the like).

Wax is not a durable finish for pens. Unless the user is prepared to regularly maintain it, it will not withstand handling. I would not risk using it on pens that I intend to sell. That’s all there is to say really.

CA glue

The clue is in the word glue. It is an adhesive and not a very good one at that. Truth to tell it was never even designed for that purpose and came about by accident when someone was trying to make clear plastic gunsights. It was never ever meant to be a pen finish and although it can work it cracks easily, is prone to adverse reactions to movement or moisture in the timber and can go yellow eventually if cheap stuff is used. Some brands are better than others. The cheap stuff from the pound shop is not the same as the expensive stuff. To those who say it is I refer you to my comments regarding those who say friction polish is a good finish. You might get a good gloss with it and I did use it myself for a while but I never really liked it and nowadays I prefer to use something that was designed as a finish. Incidentally CA gives off nasty fumes to which some people are allergic but they are not toxic contrary to popular misconception. Whether they have any long term ill effects upon human health is something not even the experts can say for certain. See WHO paper here: http://www.who.int/ipcs/publications/cicad/cicad36_rev_1.pdf
Finally on CA. No-one but pen makers thinks CA is a finish. If it was so marvellous why aren't Rolls Royce cars or Steinway Pianos finished with it? I'll tell you why, because it is difficult to apply with consistency, unreliable and cracks if you look at it the wrong way.

Polyurethane Varnishes.

Don’t go there unless you use the “dipping method” that Les Elm describes here:
http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/pen_finish_dipping_method.pdf

Oil finishes.

Some oil finishes such as gunstock oil can build up to a nice semi-gloss tactile finish but they take time to do properly.

Nitrocellulose lacquer.

Gives a good finish if sprayed but the motor re-finishing industry stopped using it some time ago because of the nasty chemicals it contains. Dries and hardens faster than acrylic lacquer.

Acrylic Lacquer.

There is a reason Acrylic and Melamine lacquers are called finishes. It is because they are finishes not adhesives. Acrylic lacquer is what I use nowadays. Gloss or Satin depending on the desired result. You can try to be clever and wipe it on on the lathe, but I prefer to take the barrel(s) off the lathe and spray them. A lathe is a tool not a constraint. You are allowed to take things off the lathe to finish them. The woodturning police will not come and lock you up for not finishing on the lathe. Leave it to dry (preferably overnight) before putting the barrel(s) back on the lathe and buffing with Farecla or Burnishing cream.

Melamine Lacquer.

Melamine lacquer is Phil Dart’s preferred finish and if I am honest it is just as good as acrylic. I do use it sometimes when I want a satin finish. To many people it results in a finish that looks and feels more like natural wood than can be achieved with acrylic lacquer.

cookie21

First Name
Barry
I agree fully with what Walter has said on finishes, personally I prefer the Melamine option for a more natural finish, but I feel a CA war is on the way :thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Thank you Walter,

I do agree with what you say, however I have always said if you have a finish you are happy with then don't change it.

We all have a different method for finishing pens, that's what makes us individual.

By all means try new ones and adapt what you do until you get the finish you are happy with.

That said, I am In the middle ( that's what I keep telling myself) of trailing the Dipping method, :rolling::rolling:

I am sure it is the middle and once I get there I am sure it will yield the results I am after.. But the tinny if Acrylic is looking a good alternative at the moment.:wink:

No CA war here, however it has been a staple of the pen turners to use and will be for a long while to come I think.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I certainly have no intention of staring a CA war. Plenty of people have success with it and as I say I used it myself for a while.

The two problems I do have are firstly with the Holy American Church of CA finishers who will acknowledge no other religion and secondly with the daily posts on groups and forums from those who have suffered bloom, cracking, white spots, allergies, glueing themselves to the lathe and the myriad other problems that arise with it. As a result of the former I will not be told what to use as a finish and thus constantly strive to find the best alternative finish that I can and because of the latter I can no longer recommend CA as a first choice.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I have known melamine lacquer to craze & chances are if you use any finish over a long period of time you will have occasional failures.
Pointless getting into arguments mind, the best thing is to try what's out there, find the one that works for you & gives you the finish you want.
Not every customer wants a shiney finish, some will want the kind of finish something like wax gives, it's all personal choice & there's no accounting for that.

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
I have tried various friction polishes and hate them all. One I tried failed after less than a week of daily use in my hands.

I do love the CA for the shiny finish and rarely do I suffer problems, mostly bloom on oily woods. Bubinga and CA finish is my nemesis at the moment.

When I first tried the melamine I expected a similar shine to the CA and was particularly disappointed that it didn't happen. Now I am using it when I don't want the shiny finish and as mentioned, I like that it seals the blank without interfering with the feel of the blank. I have just finished an Olive Epsilon for my Mum for Christmas and have finished that in melamine as I know that she loves the feel of the blank rather than a plastic CA finish.

What I would love to see is some videos (not just text descriptions) of applying the melamine and the Acrylic finishes specifically for pen finishing. I know that there are finishing videos for general use, but pen turners tend to use the finishes slightly differently. I watched one on applying melamine (I think it was a Record) video and it is completely different to the way the Phil described his method in a previous thread.

I have an acrylic spray lacquer but haven't used it at all yet.

Coll

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
Interesting Walter. By the way does anyone know what CrystalCoat is? Is it one of the 'Friction Polish' variants? I have found it gives a nice look but have never tested it for durability other than on a pen I use myself.
Do the acrylic and melamine finishes need to be sprayed or has anyone found they can be applied in thin coats as a liquid? I appreciate Walter's view on taking things off the lathe to finish but spraying an aerosol into the air in a confined space brings its own hazards. Sounds like a small spray booth of the kind that model makers use could be a sound investment.

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Brilliant...........f...kin brilliant. Please do more as people like me can learn a lot from people like you. By that i mean your experience over a long period of time on a subject.
I have been making pens for only 18 months and enjoy it no end. Yes i use friction polish but only because i was guided that way, now i will be looking at acrylic lacquer now.
Is there a specific brand to use or just any acrylic lacquer.

I did try CA but never got it to work, and the stink was awful, plus i am a messy git with it. Usually get stuck to everything. Can you imagine my fingers stuck to a pen tube whizzing stuck to the lathe Tom and Jerry fashion, ok no.

I am about to make a toolbox pencil for someone with an ebony wood finish so i will try the lacquer and see what happens (may turn out it will be my pencil)

Any, post more useful posts like yours, i found it very useful in answering question i didn't know i wanted to ask.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Does anyone know what CrystalCoat is? Is it one of the 'Friction Polish' variants?

Yes, just another friction polish. They never give up trying to flog it under different names.

Is there a specific brand to use or just any acrylic lacquer.

I mostly use either Chestnut or Halfords but there is not a lot of difference, most will do a good job.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
What I would love to see is some videos (not just text descriptions) of applying the melamine and the Acrylic finishes specifically for pen finishing. I know that there are finishing videos for general use, but pen turners tend to use the finishes slightly differently. I watched one on applying melamine (I think it was a Record) video and it is completely different to the way the Phil described his method in a previous thread.

I am thinking of making some videos and setting up a YouTube channel but the problem is finding the time. It may happen but don't hold your breath.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I am about to make a toolbox pencil for someone with an ebony wood finish so i will try the lacquer and see what happens (may turn out it will be my pencil).

Whoa - hang on, hang on Ken. I'm not sure if you have any experience of ebony so far, but its one of those woods that, speaking for myself, I would not be applying any sort of finish to it at all. It's incredibly dense and takes on a beautiful, extremely high sheen just from fine sanding and buffing, and in fact its difficult to get a finish to actually stick to it sometimes. The purpose of a finish is to enhance appearance and protect the wood - ebony needs neither.

With respect to Walters opening statement, perhaps there should also be a category discussing the non-use of finishes. It's tempting to think, especially if someone is just starting out, that you've got to apply a finish because that's what you're supposed to do. In fact, sometimes it's completely un-necessary, and sometimes it is actually detrimental, as it would be on ebony in my opinion.

If you haven't turned ebony before, keep the speed and the heat down when you're sanding by the way - it's very susceptible to heat cracks.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
The purpose of a finish is to enhance appearance and protect the wood - ebony needs neither.

In fact, sometimes it's completely un-necessary, and sometimes it is actually detrimental, as it would be on ebony in my opinion.

We're all different Phil and I'm not of the same opinion. I found that a very thin coat of noncrystalline wax enhances and helps prevent finger marks. It certainly comes up like glass if enough care is taken.
Something ken should be aware of is the fine dust can be very irritating and isn't at all nice.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Whoa - hang on, hang on Ken. I'm not sure if you have any experience of ebony so far, but its one of those woods that, speaking for myself, I would not be applying any sort of finish to it at all. It's incredibly dense and takes on a beautiful, extremely high sheen just from fine sanding and buffing, and in fact its difficult to get a finish to actually stick to it sometimes. The purpose of a finish is to enhance appearance and protect the wood - ebony needs neither.

With respect to Walters opening statement, perhaps there should also be a category discussing the non-use of finishes. It's tempting to think, especially if someone is just starting out, that you've got to apply a finish because that's what you're supposed to do. In fact, sometimes it's completely un-necessary, and sometimes it is actually detrimental, as it would be on ebony in my opinion.

If you haven't turned ebony before, keep the speed and the heat down when you're sanding by the way - it's very susceptible to heat cracks.

Phil beat me to it, the oily dense woods don't often need finishes because they retain their compactness after sanding etc I find that once you have passed them through the buffing wheels with Tripoli, white diamond and either carnauba or Renaissance wax, they retain their smoothness, wood feel and develop over the years a smooth patina from use which will not go away. The wax finish is really only to present them, I know that it will go with the acid from the fingers within 1 month because I have to rebuff any stock pens after about 1 month of customer handling. When I sell a pen I not only show the customer how to change the refill I explain that they should not leave them on the central heating or on a windowsill in the sun but also that every 3-6 months they should lightly coat them with beeswax and buff them up to regain their shine. Since most of my customers are locals who always come back to my stands they mainly always show me their pens and I have to say so far I have not seen a bad one over the years.

But another proof is that many years ago Walter made me a pen in exchange for some azobe that I sent him. Its been through the washing machine 3 times now (so any finish is long gone!!) and the wood is still as smooth as if it had a finish, I still use it every day and whilst the mechanism might be a bit stiff it still writes like it should.

PG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).