• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Finishes for wooden pens

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Having just read through all of the post on this subject I intend to have a go with the acrylic laquer. Walter do you use a sanding sealer before you spray them ? :thinks:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Check out ER collet chuck Ken.

There are several that you can use to fit your pen mandrel shaft in too or can use for turning Ll sorts of projects.

Take a look here for the collet types, sizes ect.

ER Collets - ER8, ER11, ER16, ER20, ER25, ER32, ER40, ER50 Collets - MariTool

They can have a fitting for MT or specific fitting for threaded lathes.

I first bought an ER 25 collet set hindsight I should have at lest got the ER 32, recently bought an ER 40 collet set a few month ago I posted a couple pics showing the difference in sizes.

If you are going to make bullet pens you will need a collet chuck thread for your lathe.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Thank you Walter, sounds easy anyway, so I have the spray, got the cardboard box, the cones, and nails, now the scrap wood! well I have no shortage of that. By the way it was your articles on penmaking in the woodturning magazine that got me onto pens. Good work that man Walter. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I designed a gadget to spray pens using a motor (sealed) with a reduction gear out of a remote controlled Valve in a boiler Room I will take a pic after the dust clears from our family reunion get together later.

We had a Grandson with his wife and three precious children visit yesterday (saturday) they have moved from Brisbane to Sydney only 200 miles away. Tons of hugging and special memories for us.

Enjoy your festivities.

Peter.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Would an air brush be too small?:thinks:

As long as the viscosity is right for the nozzle size but having to thin it to that degree means that more coats will need to be applied.

Why arn't you spending time with the family or is it too early for them at 07:35am there

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).