• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Finishes for wooden pens

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I can't believe that burnishing with the shavings hasn't been mentioned, or did I miss it?
It can make a big difference regardless of final finish.
I do this on my turnings but consider it part of the making, not of the finishing. This is why I didn't mention it as the thread is about finishes Neil.

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
If you want a pen without the feel of natural wood then buy a Bic - If you want to stir your tea use a spoon

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
THANKS for the info Walter,
I've only been turning pens for about 9 months (120 odd so far) after seeing some of Phils posts, I moved from using friction polish to using Melamine lacquer on most of my wooden pens a couple of weeks ago, unless I want the glass like feel & look then I use CA

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
Hi Pierre, what on earth is azobe?:thinks:
Ekki | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwoods) here you go Azobe is the name that I learned when I made things out of it, there is a lot of it around if you can afford it Reclaimed Untreated Railway Sleepers | Buy Untreated Reclaimed Tropical Azobe Hardwood Sleepers Online | UK Sleepers but imagine trying to get those through your band saw, plus its so hard that I have to resharpen all of my tools several times whilst working it including my planer/thicknesser.

PG

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Thanks Pierre, I learn something new every day, trouble is remembering it, think sleepers were also made of Jarrah, it was shipped over here by the shipload, for sleepers, and fence posts I have a lump but it is full of cracks presumably from the constant weight of trains rumbling over.:sob:

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
I think the price of the sleeper is relativity cheap, can you imagine how many blanks you would get out of a sleeper ! It would knock hell out of a chain saw.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Nothing wrong with buying new sleepers , less problems, these days with special blades cutting problems are solved. Me I prefer using what I have and know. Must be getting Older and wiser at last.

Peter.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Well Barry after all the coming and going on the finishing theme, we are all becoming sleepers! Only joking, some very interesting finishing hints on here. I must try Walters way, think Woody uses it also?

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
I started off finishing my pens with friction polish. It has it's place.
I've also used CA with mixed results.
I have been using acrylic lacquer for the last 9 - 12 months and find it to be the best I have tried.

cookie21

First Name
Barry
I have found this a really interesting thread thank you Walter, good to hear so many views & ideas on finishing, one day the perfect pen finish will come along but I'm not holding my breath

Simone

Apprentice Member
First Name
Simone
Well there you have it :)
I have been contemplating a move from CA lately. After reading this very informative discussion i will be giving Acrylic Lacquer a try.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Very interesting thread will try lacquer too and have a go to try perfecting finish with Melamine also my sanding technique requires refining

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The guy who made countless thousands of pens here in Australia glued in his pens with CA finished with CA, his upmarket sales were astounding.His one man output was outstanding with quality results. Just saying he developed a formula that worked for him used the very best of timbers,Carver and Aeroplane builder and flyer, all round good guy. Just saying.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).