• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Harrogate 2014

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
It can't be one way Terry, make sure you give Jim some Jarrah in return:thumbs:

Peter

The jarrah will be at home in the agriculture halls at Harrogate, for some unknown reason at the countryside live show four weeks ago, they put the cattle in hall 2 and the horses next to the cafe both inside. Result, place smelt disgusting, just like Terry's jarrah.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The jarrah will be at home in the agriculture halls at Harrogate, for some unknown reason at the countryside live show four weeks ago, they put the cattle in hall 2 and the horses next to the cafe both inside. Result, place smelt disgusting, just like Terry's jarrah.

There's a point Terry can't you see if you can sell it at Harrogate, or swap it for something sweet:thumbs:

Peter

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for that Jim, I'll wait for the show to see if I can get a good price for one. :thumbs:

Don't get your hopes too high Ray, hopefully they have learnt from last year when I enquired about some gear on the Saturday only to be told they had sold most of their stock on the Friday :nooidea:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I have been looking to get there and was hoping to stay overnight but couldn't find a bargain break anywhere.
No I didn't leave it till the last minute, this must be a popular show cos everything was taken so quickly i didn't get a look in.

Same as Yandells, no hoper for me this year.
It has been good meeting up with people at the venues I did go to and there will be more I am sure.
Have a great time all who do go init?

Just take your swag and set it up under a tree in the shade some where.:thumbs:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I have a question to those of who have been to Harrogate before. Does anyone know if there is usually anyone there selling pen mandrels? I want to get a Planet mandrel and I wasn't sure whether to wait for the show or just get one. I realise it's maybe a difficult one to answer as exhibitor s change but thought I'd ask anyway :thumbs:

There is a list of exhibitors here Ray:

Exhibitors, UK Woodworking Show, North of England

Snainton will most likely have Planet/Rotur mandrels. They have them on their website.

Jim

Grand Master
Just about to set off to meet up with my buddy Terry at the show, anything can happen ... :whistling:

Have a good day now .. :winking:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
It was a good day today . Met up with Jim and Carol and then later on bumped into Dan for a yarn. Jim persuaded me to but a Sorby Pro edge and I was only going for a filter for my Microclene and now I am in the doghouse for spending money. I ended up taking the wife into Harrogate for some new clothes to keep the peace !!!!:bwink::bwink::bwink:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It was a good day today . Met up with Jim and Carol and then later on bumped into Dan for a yarn. Jim persuaded me to but a Sorby Pro edge and I was only going for a filter for my Microclene and now I am in the doghouse for spending money. I ended up taking the wife into Harrogate for some new clothes to keep the peace !!!!:bwink::bwink::bwink:

I thought you were a northerner Terry, did you put your foot down and insist that she buy some new clothes?

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter

:no::no: JUst a rumour mate.

Jim

Grand Master
Met up with Terry and Jackie had a walk around before committing to buy anything, we headed over to the cafe for a well deserved pot of tea and bun before we started out on our mission to buy something. Terry had already bought some chopping boards before we had arrived so he had a head start on me. I couldn't wait to start spending, i was doing cold turkey by this time, we had been there more than an hour and Terry was still leading the spending table. I came to the Trend stall where i spied their small CNC, i had a brain wave, this machine would be brilliant to engrave the top of pen boxes. I enquired about the cost, while the guy was away finding the price of the machine the War Office began her interrogation. "Why are you wanting the price of that" says she, "It would be good for engraving the top of pen boxes" says I, "But you have never made any pen boxes" says she. The guy came back with the price, it was £1699, but he would throw in a disc with some software for free. That was enough for the War Office to drag me away. My next plan was to try and get a new bandsaw, i have had my eye on the Jet 16" one for a while, this was only a £1000 it had been reduced by £200 for the show. Sorry to say i failed on this also. In the mean time Terry had bought the Sorby Pro-Edge, he was now leading 2-0 in the buying stakes. I had to act fast as we were almost ready for leaving and i was 2-0 down. I started to panic a little, would the War Office allow me some spending money? I put her to the test when i saw the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig, i had been wanting this jig for a while now. I justified the wanting to the War Office, bingo, it was now 2-1 with only minutes of spending time on the clock. Terry was playing for time, he sensed that the War Office was weakening now that the credit card had been out of her purse. Just when i thought that i was beaten the War Office says "Are you still wanting that drill" Terry turned quickly at me waiting for the answer, "Yes Dear" says I .. So over to the Metabo stall we trot, and out came the Credit Card once again to buy me the 18v Cordless Drill .. I had pulled it off with seconds to spare, we left the building with the score at 2-2, a fair result for the day i thought .. :thumbs:

It was a good day folks, lovely to meet up with Terry and Jackie, also had a quick chat with Dan as he was leaving .. :thumbs:

Here is a picture of some of the work done by Stuart Mortimer. His work is something different, you need to see it to appreciate the piece, a true gent.

Mortimer.jpg

These two pictures are of the aisle that we were in, to my left and right showing how busy the place was.

Show_Crowd.jpg

crowd.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).