• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Playing with top design

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Thought I would try inlaying some Maple veneer to see the effect. All 3 are stabilized Spectra-ply. Stabilizing helps holds the plys together while turning plus the added weight allows them to spin longer. My favorite is the first with the 3rd a close second. The 3rd top has some further design ideas I want to incorporate. Don't think I will go into production with these. They will reside in my wife's collection.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 63
  • top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 60
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 64

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Terry mate I must make some of these, they may be a bit plain compared to yours but I'll knock a couple out next week

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Top turning Terry are they two piece, by that I mean is the turning stem integrated or part of? The design and splatter paint job is superior to me . Very attractive all the same mate.

Peter.

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Yes, which piece. The stem is 3/8 maple dowel. I drill a 3/8 hole about half way through the blank spread a little glue in the hole and drive in the dowel.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Takes me back to childhood Terry, The third is my favourite I think. Did you have the kind over there that the girls would set spinning and then lash with a leather boot lace on a stick, a whip, and thus keep them spinning for ages. In Glasgow the were called Peeries. I sneakily tried but never did master that game. :rolling:

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
They're really nice Terry, and lovely workmanship! Something else to go on the ever growing "must try" list :funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).