• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

CA Glue - Thin or Medium

Derek33

Apologies if I am asking an old question.

Does anyone have a preference when using CA to glue in the brass tubes.

I tried using medium today as I could see more of a gap between the blank and the brass tube, but I found it lessoned the movement of the brass tube going in the pre drilled hole. Not only that it got stuck proud of the hole, cured and ruined a tube and blank.

Should I not worry and stick with the thin CA glue.

Thank you
Derek

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
I have found the thin to be too thin for gluing tubes as it goes everywhere. I use medium all the time for gluing tubes. I always drip some glue around the hole in the blank and then a generous strip of glue on the tube, then insert, twisting the tube in the blank as it goes in. Then I use accelerator to instantly set the glue at the ends. I've had tubes stick inside a blank before now, and I found it useful to try dropping the tube in the blank before gluing to check nothing is going to prevent the tube from sliding in. Hope that's helpful :thumbs:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Use polyurethane glue and leave it to set overnight. The glue expands as it sets and fills any gaps plus you've got loads of time to get it right. Just my opinion and very shortly there'll be more people along to give their preference

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Hi Derek, from what you say it sounds like the hole was bigger at the end but tighter along the rest of the length. As already stated, try the dry tube in the blank first checking for resistance. If a tube refuses to go all the way in, cut it off and stick it at the other end. As for glueing in the tubes, I prefer medium ca. :thumbs:

Gregory Hardy

Graduate Member
First Name
Greg
I have switched from CA to Gorilla. Seemingly better holding power and I don't want to be rushed during that (or any) step. Down side: Overnight wait to work. Up side: Far fewer blow-outs on the lathe. Good luck!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The extreme followed so many thousands of times by a prodigeous pen maker in Australia before his death was to bypass glue altogether using undersized drills specially made for him and press fitted blanks, I was priviliged to watch the process. His output was magic, he used all materials and lived well off the proceeds. So many ways to do everything, find your best way.

Peter.

Louie_Powell

Apprentice Member
First Name
Louie
Like others, I find that polyurethane glue is the best choice for gluing pen tubes. There can be bonding problems with CA, and while is is an excellent glue, epoxy is messy to work with. It is true that polyurethane foams and expands, so the joint must be clamped until the glue cures (or in the case of pen blanks, clamping is required to keep the foaming from forcing the tube out of the blank while it cure), and some cleanup is required to get rid of the foam. But its always necessary to true up the ends of blanks after gluing, and that addresses the polyurethane foam problem.

The penetration property of CA decreases with increasing viscosity. In other words, the thin stuff will soak into wood fibers to some degree, but medium and thick tend to stay on the surface. However, the void-filling properties of CA improve with increasing viscosity. That means that the thick stuff works very well at filling gaps, medium is ok, and thin doesn't do well at all.

The result is that the medium and thick CA then to stick only to the surface fibers, and while they may fill a gap between the tube and the outer body material, the bond between the CA and that body material is weak because only the surface fibers inside the hole are engaged in the bond.

However, CA does adhere to itself very well, so if I'm doing a wood glue up that calls for CA (basically, anything where I don't want to have to deal with the tendency of polyurethane to foam and expand out of the joint), then I first apply a coating of thin to the bare wood and allow it to soak in and cure. This leaves a layer of acrylic that extends into the wood, bonding very well with the wood. Then, I complete the joint using either medium or thick CA (depending on how large the gap is). My experience is that this results in a far stronger bond.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).