• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dust Control

naxie

Registered
has anyone got a cyclone system going any plans or tips and before George says anything I've got a dustpan and brush.:funny:

I use two Thien baffles similar to this J. Phil Thien's Cyclone Separator Lid w/ the Thien Cyclone Separator Baffle which I made myself. One big one based on a dustbin for the chip extractor and one small one based on a home brew barrel for an old Fein vacuum.. They do work really well, I very rarley have to empty the actual extractors as everything gets trapped in the barrel / bin, even the finer dust that a chip extractor would normally just blow back out again.

If anyone is interested I'll take some pictures later. They are quite fun to make, I even put portal windows in the big one so you can see the dust swirling around! :bwink:

Kind regards,
Ed

Jim

Grand Master
They are quite fun to make, I even put portal windows in the big one so you can see the dust swirling around

This may just start a stir with George (Clumsysod) Clumsysod MK I on its way ... :ciggrin:

Please do post pictures Ed .. :thumbs:

naxie

Registered
Sorry about the picks, the bigger one is a bit of a pain to get to..........

This is the bigger one with the 4" hose
1.jpg 2.JPG

And the smaller one

3.JPG 4.jpg

Kind regards,
Ed

naxie

Registered
Oh I forgot to mention the circle bits were cut with a jig I made for the router, much easier than a band saw and accurately repeatable.

photo-6.JPG

photo-7.JPG

Its just like a compass really, and again quite fun to make! :thumbs:

Kind regards,
Ed

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
This may just start a stir with George (Clumsysod) Clumsysod MK I on its way ...
Sorry to disappoint but but I think that is overkill.
Lets analyze the situation, you are worried about the residue of your turnings IE dust.
We have big dust and little dust Yes?
The big dust isn't harmful if it's of a certain size in which case we can eat it burn it or bin it.
The small dust that is harmful is the stuff we cant see, the microscopic particles that might fester in our lungs and give us a nasty disease in 40 yrs time.
Give me 20 years to think about this one.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I doubt that you could wait 20 years George ..
I rest my case milud, I doubt I will be around long enough to contract a dust related illness.
I am too busy getting on with today to worry about what might happen tomorrow.
It's a bit late to start looking after myself now, and i go back to my earlier comment if you worry about dust then don't create it in the first place wet sanding is my answer.

naxie

Registered
Horses for courses, "dust safety " is quite important for me, I'm only 38 so there is a slim possibility to might still be here when the dust takes its hold!

My garage/workshop also contains the downstairs toilet used by my family, 6 year old boy and (when she's out of nappies) 9 month old girl.

Unfortunately sanding is not the only aspect of woodwork that produces dust, I wet sad when possible but I don't think I would feel comfortable introducing water to my RAS, band saw or my scroll saw.

For your the fine dust I have this photo-8.JPG which I was luckily given, that stays on for 2 hours when I've finished doing "dusty things"

If anything the baffles and drums are a darn site easier to empty than the extractors and the filter/bag replacements are massively reduced. Plus the cyclone effect looks cool through the little windows:bwink:

Kind regards,
Ed

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Given that all iv ever used is a hoover I am a bit disappointed in the dust collector it needs to be real close to the lathe spindle to be of any benefit and i dont think it will pull chips :thinks:Iam thinking of a down draught fan anyone use this or suggestions what else i can do.

Jim

Grand Master
Frankie, depending on what you have, you will be surprised what the extractor does. The chips will still fly all over the place but the extractor will be sucking in the dust ... Very noticeable when sanding ... :bwink:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I gave a fan away some years ago it was a air con centrifugal type and it was really powerful and would have pulled the lathe in so my expectations were dashed by the result but I see what I can do thanks.Frankie

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
This is going to help some people, the tube that came with the extractor was really stiff and not very flexible so this is what I came up with
dust control.jpg this is tool-station toilet swan neck to extractor ,dust control.jpg 2.jpg flexible pan connector dust control.jpg 3.jpg
what do you think :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).