• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dust Control

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Looks good mate, it has to be flexible so you can put where it is actually needed. :bwink:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Yes thats right Tony the one that I got with the extractor was a thick heavy plastic thing but this one is light and extendabe and flexible.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
This is going to help some people, the tube that came with the extractor was really stiff and not very flexible so this is what I came up with
View attachment 560 this is tool-station toilet swan neck to extractor ,View attachment 561 flexible pan connector View attachment 562
what do you think :thumbs:
I think you have a workshop to be envied and I love the innovation of the flexi tube, I thought before reading it was one of those things to go on a tumble drier.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I thought before reading it was one of those things to go on a tumble drier.[/QUOTE]

They dont hold up under suction thats true.:thumbs:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I modified a badly fitting power cap I got this on ebay for £50 about a yr ago brand new in a sealed box I was over the moon with the deal I got but....the cap was far to big for me and I Never used it so today I changed the cap for a smaller one it was so easy to do now I will use it.power cap.jpg

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Yes Jim I have been quite lucky with some auctions, the vac pump was 99p just need to get that chemical .:thinks:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Thinking of venting the exhaust out through the wall or maybe a cyclone build, the dust bag lets the fine stuff out :down:

Jim

Grand Master
You certainly need to sort it out Frankie, the fine stuff is the killer ... :bwink:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Sorry to disappoint but but I think that is overkill.

George for me that is a very sensitive subject my father in law died in my arms from mesothelioma at 57 and is sadly missed.....But the danger from dust is not what i'm concerned about initially its the fact that it covers every surface it gets every were and some people are more sensitive to dust than others if you start sneezing and getting bunged up you pack up early controlling it make turning more enjoyable spending more time in the shed this is why i'm trying to extract the dust,Frankie.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
OK stage one in cyclone build utilizing what materials I have around I have no plans but did look at other peoples
so if you have any tips please let me know..... what do you think so far cyclone 1.jpg cyclone 2.jpg
cyclone 3.jpgI have to extend the internal tube until it is below the intake tube and put a sloping baffle on the cone wall somehow,cyclone 4.jpg
cyclone 5.jpg and that's how far i am with it :thinks:Frankie

Jim

Grand Master
I need to see this working Frankie, i have not even heard of a Cyclone other than what they get in the USA ... :bwink:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Me too Jim...if you type in youtube super dust devil cyclone it will give you an idea I hope this works they look great on the net:thinks:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
George for me that is a very sensitive subject my father in law died in my arms from mesothelioma at 57 and is sadly missed.....,Frankie.
I too have seen many colleagues and friends die of the same illness "mesothelioma" is not just related to dust but is particular, literally, to Asbestos and asbestos only.
It is a asbestos related disease that any of my generation and older could contract at any moment in time. It was only recently that the ironing board was disposed of at the station where I work because it had an asbestos hot board for the iron to rest on while not in use.
People are still dying of it and will do until 50 years after it is totally eradicated.
We are 40 years behind the USA in banning the use of mdf because of the dust risk and still haven't done it yet, although the younger generation are more aware of dust risks and related illnesses and they are the ones who need to protect themselves.

For the likes of you and me my friend I am afraid to say any damage is already done, whether or not you have been a smoker or lived in smog or countryside, simply by breathing during your life would have already dictated your date of death.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Yes George that is all true it was asbestos that caused it he worked for clean-away and they took full responsibility for his death....I work on site and the health and safety these days is condemned by some old-school builders," oh back in my day we just got on with it".. and all that but your correct its the young who will benefit and over time attitudes will change ,Anyway have you invented anything recently cheers Frankie:thumbs:.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).