• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Replacement carbide tips

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

Do any of you know if any of the above mentioned fit the Robert Sorby Turnmaster i have just bought one of these and do not rate the cutters very much, or it could be operator error

Gary

I doubt it, the Turnmaster inserts look like a tiny hole and I bet the inserts are a pig to find anywhere else.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
THere is no need for tough steel in the Turnmaster stem it would seem simple when you find the cutters you seek to enlarge and tap the holes to suit.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
THanks Peter I have converted two commercial handles and shafts that used high speed steel small cutters as well I can manipulate hole sizes on. Thanks for the continuing sizes.

Peter.

The Titman inserts have exactly the same hole size, the M5 screws that came with tips from Replacement Carbide Cutters fit nicely and the widest part of the screw head is 9mm. Looking at the catalogue from appleby woodturning they also do slightly thicker tips at 2.5mm, but a little more expensive 15 x 15 x 2.5mm Reversible Knives Solid Carbide Tips (RADIUS 50mm + Corner Rads)

Peter

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Hi Guys

Do any of you know if any of the above mentioned fit the Robert Sorby Turnmaster i have just bought one of these and do not rate the cutters very much, or it could be operator error

Gary

If the sorby uses an M5 screw then yes, if you get an M5 countersunk screw they may fit.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The sorby uses M4, M4 screws could be used with these cutters, but I wouldn't like to use it with M4 screw the head size is only slight bigger than the minor diameter of the countersunk hole and you would need to cut a countersink on the sorby tool to allow the lower part of the countersunk screw head to pull the cutter tight, unless sorry are now making it with a countersink which they didn't use to.

Peter

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
In that case you need a small washer. That's an M4 button head but you could use a countersunk.

c34ca134a901ea09801af1485b6e3116_zpsuubxizcb.jpg

Another option is a flange head screw.

M4 M5 M6 M8 M10 HIGH TENSILE 10.9 BUTTON FLANGE HEAD ALLEN BOLTS SOCKET SCREWS | eBay

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The Appleby Carbide look the money fairly sure I have 15mm on my main chisel, they state fine grain and sure look sharp. Thanks.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).