• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Weekend in the Shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
My first attempt at segmented blanks ended up as sawdust on Friday. Made the mistake (among MANY others, but this was the fatal one) of using bog oak for contrast. Man, that stuff is SLIMY! The beech I segmented it with went sort of muddy while I was sanding ...:vangry:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
My first attempt at segmented blanks ended up as sawdust on Friday. Made the mistake (among MANY others, but this was the fatal one) of using bog oak for contrast. Man, that stuff is SLIMY! The beech I segmented it with went sort of muddy while I was sanding ...:vangry:

This may sound worse than meant but i am glad to hear that others make the same mistakes as me, the wife will be pleased to know that it ISN'T just me. :bwink:

Good luck next time mate. :thumbs:

Just to add that i havent been able to get into the shed for a few weeks other than to do little jobs here and there. :rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
Bog Oak ugh ... I hate the stuff, i remember when i first turned a piece of this wood, my thoughts were what a waste of good cash, i still have a couple of pen blanks, but i doubt i would use them. Certainly not good wood to use for segmenting David ... :goesred:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Just got home myself Jim. Got orders for 2 sierras, a slimline and a propelling pencil

Jim

Grand Master
Hi Keith,

Nice little order to keep you busy, please post up the propelling pencil as i can't seem to picture one of these ... :thinks:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
stalking (deer....not neighbours.. for clarity) in the morning, then ferreting, both for the lurchers to catch, then shooting them in the afternoon, then roost pigeon shooting in the evening, Stalking Sunday morning, then log chopping and a couple of pens for me...

Jim

Grand Master
stalking (deer....not neighbours.. for clarity) in the morning, then ferreting, both for the lurchers to catch, then shooting them in the afternoon, then roost pigeon shooting in the evening, Stalking Sunday morning, then log chopping and a couple of pens for me...

Would love your weekends Matty, if i was fitter of course ... :devil:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Bog Oak ugh ... I hate the stuff, i remember when i first turned a piece of this wood, my thoughts were what a waste of good cash, i still have a couple of pen blanks, but i doubt i would use them. Certainly not good wood to use for segmenting David ... :goesred:

No, as I found out the hard way! I still have ten blanks, I doubt I'll use them because even the pen I made out of a solid blank was less than great. On the upside I whipped together a Chairman's pen this afternoon out of Walnut and Cherry and it's fantastic. Will post pics over the weekend. Your tutorial was a great help, thanks again.

Jim

Grand Master
Spent all afternoon pottering about but haven't done anything other than move things about and make a few things to help with casting, not got near the lathe ... :down:

Jim

Grand Master
No turning today also, i had a friend over with me helping me with a sliding jig for the bandsaw, he made the runners as i couldn't find any on the internet for love nor money ... :rolling: The idea is to fit a cast iron slider that sits above the table by a few mm's with a fixed mite on it. He made the alterations at his home, so when he brought the runners fitted to the slider it would only run for about 2" :thinks: So i ended up taking the table off the bandsaw altogether so he could take it home and make the alterations at his place. So i then began to make a back fence for a mitre saw that i just purchased so that i could cut at 45 degree angles with small pieces of wood (pen blanks) I got the wood screwed into place which was awkward as one hole was blind ... When i got this done i had nothing to cut the shape .. Other than this i have four blanks in the pressure pot, hopefully all will be well on this mix ..All in all it feels as thou i have achieved:down: nothing this week ...

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
i never got near the lathe............. chopped a lot of timber though....

Jim

Grand Master
Will be in the shed this weekend, starting from tomorrow night. Thou i have no bandsaw until Saturday teatime. Starting tomorrow i have to do a big clean up as i did leave it a mess last week, normally i always do a clean up when ever i leave the shed, but last week i had a family member call late, so when she let i just locked up the shed ... :whistling:

I will be mainly working on trying to improve the castings, any turning i do will be a bonus. Thou i do have an order for two pens out of the Brazilian Mahogany i was given .... :bwink:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
I'm home........... but no idea if I'm going to get in to the workshop yet...

Jim

Grand Master
I'm home........... but no idea if I'm going to get in to the workshop yet...

hehe, know that feeling lol .... :thumbs:

If i get chance Matty, i will attempt to turn one of those blanks i made last week. It will give me the feel of the casting, making sure that they are not to brittle or soft. I should really be doing this before i attempt a new batch .. :rolling:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
those griselinia blanks have turned up....... i was looking forward to them......... but Im not happy with them... Ill post pictures later. :down:

Jim

Grand Master
That's a shame, the picture you posted up earlier had those blanks looking good? :thinks:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
not cheap either Jim, Im going to wet with alcohol tomorrow, and see if they improve.... if they dont...... they're going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.